. .
    Just joined the forum (after a slight technical hitch that Lee sorted - thanks).

I don't have any CNC experience but I'm giving serious consideration to retrofitting my Amadeal AMA30V mill.

Doing lots of reading and trying to decide if I just go with the standard lead screws to start with or jump right into the deep end and go down the ball screw route from the off. As for everyone; retrofitting ball screws would be much easier with second CNC mill but I don't have that luxury.

I use my mill for making a) bits for my mill & lathe; doesn't everyone? :-) and b) parts for my motorcycles. I'm not in the atto-millimeter precision game; hence my thoughts that I could live with the inherent backlash in the ACME lead screws. A footrest of brake caliper mounting bracket is fine at a couple of thou tolerance. I did briefly consider anti-backlash nuts but that's almost as painful as ball screws.

I'm also flailing around trying to decide what size steppers I need. Lots of useful calcs on the net but I they assume you know things like the torque required to move a loaded bed... and I don't know that. Hmmm... my DIY 18V drill motor X-axis power feed moves the loaded bed quiet happily so maybe that might give me a starting point.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Nice to see someone fairly local. Obviously not quite Peterbro as that is Cambs. You will get lots of help her, but I think most will say ballscrews are the way to go in the long run. Good luck. G.

Thread Information