. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 278. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I have wired in 2X Proximity sensors on the X axis on my cnc. Ebay Item 32113180610
    I am using a USB BOB (Ebay Item number 26116368592)

The normal micro switches I have on Y and Z axis work fine, but I want to use Proximity switches for X, as they will get splashed with liquids.

I have used the BOB DC +5V supply to power the P switches (as it states on the specs 5-24V). I have tested the output of both the switches which is again 5V DC. Plus the LED on the switches light up when metal is passed over the sensor part *all good so far*. But the BOB does not light up its input LED's, Nor does Mach3 diagnostics recognise that there is anything connected to these pins (14 / 15). I have tryed swapping to other input pins, and all the ports and pins settings in Mach3 are correct.

Any Ideas ?
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 14-06-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added correct ebay links
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

I use prox sensors on my system. I used 24vdc and ran the output to a relay. I then wired the contact in the relay to the BOB. The transistor in the prox sensor never really is going to operate the input pins directly reliably. Thanks. Mike

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    fedupwiththecontinualchanges.
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 278. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Last edited by dudz; 13-06-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Quote Originally Posted by msanderson View Post
    I use prox sensors on my system. I used 24vdc and ran the output to a relay. I then wired the contact in the relay to the BOB. The transistor in the prox sensor never really is going to operate the input pins directly reliably. Thanks. Mike

I use a 48V DC supply for my Drivers/Motors. I hope I have not got to start adding more PSU's or relays. The reason I chose these Sensors is because it shows them wired to the PC +5V supply and directly into the input pins on the BOB.

Contacted the Ebay Member with the sensors. Replyed that I can go direct to the parallel port without the BOB. I guess I just change the "Port" setting in Mach3 "ports and pins" ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	4246 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	9048

This is just as unlikely to work as the problem could be switching reliability at the 5v end of the operating supply voltage range. The BoB I use is voltage switchable would not run the sensors at 5v and so the inductive switches now operate at 12v. I would never advise going directly in to a printer port, unless you have a ready supply of spare computers.

Cheers,

Rob - A man of great girth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    Contacted the Ebay Member with the sensors. Replyed that I can go direct to the parallel port without the BOB. I guess I just change the "Port" setting in Mach3 "ports and pins" ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	4246 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	9048
    It doesn't say in the listing (Edit: Just spotted the datasheet in the eBay listing, which does say open-collector), but the inductive sensors are probably an open collector output, in which case you need a pull-up resistor from the signal to +5V. Use something like 4.7k, exact value isn't critical.

You're much less likely to have problems with noise if you use a breakout board and run the sensors at a higher voltage. Connecting to the parallel port directly can work, just make sure you connect it up correctly on the first go otherwise the port could be damaged.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 13-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    allmyworthwhilepostsaregoing
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:43 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    in which case you need a pull-up resistor from the signal to +5V. Use something like 4.7k, exact value isn't
    Ok, So it "may" work if I add the pull up resistor while still using the +5v power and the USB BOB?
    Other than that I would need to use 43V (my PSU is set at) and use a resistor to lower the power into the Sensor ?
    Last edited by dudz; 13-06-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information