. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Looking at importing one of these...

Shop Promotions FREE 1pcs ER11 chuck DC 12 48 CNC 300W Spindle Motor Mount Bracket 24V 36V for PCB Engraving-in Machine Tool Spindle from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com (these 300w air cooled spindles are common as they are supplied with heaps of Ebay CNC 3040 & 3020 machines etc, therefore I'm figuring there must be a fair splattering of these across the UK)

but for my situation, it's essential that the shaft is earthed (or can be eartheded), so that I can autoprobe FR4 copper clad board with the tool tip.

Anyone know if it is?

Also does anyone have one they'd like to sell?
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 15-06-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Regarding the shaft earth you could just put a temporary ground to it with a crock clip as it will not be spinning when probing.. C.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Regarding the shaft earth you could just put a temporary ground to it with a crock clip as it will not be spinning when probing.. C.
    yes I realise that....the point is I want to avoid putting a temporary croc clip on it! It's how I used to do it, but it's a chore & I used to forget to either put the croc clip on (tool breaks when descending) or forget to remove it ....(croc clip gets thrown off!)

I've a feeling that these Chinese 300w spindles are pretty much the same as the Zen Toolworks spindle...and I know that the shaft is not grounded those (necessitating their owners to put in a workaround suck as spring steel pressing on the top of the exposed shaft ...Zen Toolworks LLC • View topic - Auto Zero your tool bit)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 16-06-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Nice find Hank,

I thought the same as Clive last night, not seen one of them opened up so not sure about the earth...

I have asked Mark and Jonathan to have a look at this thread as i know they have worked with outrunner motors quite abit and as i think that is basically what these spindles are (i could be wrong), could be intrested in buying one as well if you do go ahead Hank bet we could get them down on price if we try !

Let me know.

.Me
    .Me

The way I see it, the only way the shaft wont be earthed is if they have ceramic bearings and I cant see them having those unless they are the cheaper ceramic coated balls but again, they would be bragging "ceramic bearings" if they did have even those so its a safe bet that they will be fine............. if not you may have to change bearings for some nice cheap ones :)

Edit: just had a though.... if that mount is anodised, that may isolate the earth as aluminium oxide is none conductive (or very poor) so you may have to leapfrog the gaps twixt your motor body and mount
    Your mount and Z plate should be fine (via the fixings)
    I would guess that those people having problems with the model you mention are suffering this slightly elusive isolator.
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 16-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Lives in Norwich, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13-09-2019 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 47. Received thanks 8 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    I have one I'd like to sell, never been used, still in its original packaging.
    I just stuck the multimeter on it and there is 100% resistance between the shaft and the body. There is no earth wire, just Red and Black. The top of the shaft has the cooling fan(?) attached to it, but its level and I'm not sure how you'd attach an earth to it. Would you like some photos?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asbo For This Useful Post:

asbo: PM sent.

The thing is I want a new spindle for PCBs.....my main requirement is actually low noise (I've cordoned off a downstairs room in our house & deemed it "man cave")...I've neighbours to consider & of course my wife will surely get more than a little p1ssed with the sound of a CNC spindle constantly whirring if its too loud....since I'm only milling FR4 & the odd bit of acrylic, a water cooled spindle seems excessive (& just adds a lot of weight to the Z axis)

the zen toolworks spindle is stupidly quiet.

(& in this video it actually sounds a bit louder than it typically does in other videos I've seen with the zen spindle)

Edit: ok, found it - Here's the video that first caught my attention about how ludicruously quiet the Zen spindle is...

(you have to do a double take to actually suss the spindle is on!)
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 16-06-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added vids

Quote Originally Posted by asbo View Post
    I have one I'd like to sell, never been used, still in its original packaging.
    I just stuck the multimeter on it and there is 100% resistance between the shaft and the body. There is no earth wire, just Red and Black. The top of the shaft has the cooling fan(?) attached to it, but its level and I'm not sure how you'd attach an earth to it. Would you like some photos?
    that is odd?
    I would love to know where the break is... there must be one between the shaft bearing and body and I just cant see it being ceramic bearings?
    maybe there is more plastic in there than you would have thought?

I have just checked mine and i have continuity between spindle and body. Does that answer the question?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Swarfing For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    The way I see it, the only way the shaft wont be earthed is if they have ceramic bearings
    Yea was going to say ceramic...

Quote Originally Posted by asbo View Post
    Would you like some photos?
    If you dont mind that would be great, i'm guessing Hank has offered to buy this off you now but photo's of it here would still be nice, as i bet there isn't any online and would serve us well for other people to come (archive kind of thing).

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    I would love to know where the break is... there must be one between the shaft bearing and body and I just cant see it being ceramic bearings?
    Agreed, photo's me think's!

.Me
    .Me

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information