. .
    I'm working on my first CNC conversion. The question is...can I keep the hand wheels so I can also use the machine for manual milling and drilling or should I make it 100% computer controlled?

Lives in LaGrange, GA USA, United States. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 78. Received thanks 10 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Back when I was in your position, I asked a similar question and was told to loose the hand wheels. Think of the mill as having power feed axis controlled by the keyboard (or pendant).
    I took the consensus advice and lost the hand wheels and haven't missed them one bit. Besides that, if they have a handle on them and you issue a G00 rapid and get to close, it could hurt!
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

Good point but as Jonathan says it will add a lot of inertia to the screws ...as he spotted it on mine... Clive

I kept the hand wheels, I can't imagine life without the hand wheels, they are really useful.

If you really want hand wheels... attach encoders handle wheels to the machine ! :-)
    Gives you the feeling of hand turning the handle but without disturbing Mach3 positioning or the danger of spining handles when the computer takes control.

You see some hand wheels on youtube turning just below waist height and wonder is that safe.

Thread Information