. .
    So, I'm making a 3d printer.

and I've bought most of the parts from around the world but I can't find this part.

so m6 thread on the outside, 3mm internal hole, about 50mm long and in Aluminium.

it's so I can pop one of these on the end.

I'm using 3mm filament so I'm hoping a 3mm aperture will be fine.

thanks.
    Last edited by jcb121; 19-06-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think you will find that 3mm filament is more often than not oval in shape and can be 3.2 x 2.8 etc here is a link HydraRaptor to a guy that has been around a long time and has a lot of good knowledge. The tubes are quite often made out of brass. a link here to a typical nozzle http://reprap.org/wiki/J_Head_Nozzle I have built a few of these printers in the past and the extruder is a very important part to get right for success. Good luck with your build. ...Clive

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If you can get a drawing of what you'd like, I should be able to knock a few out with minimal hassle.

One thing I wonder is if a reamed finish would be better than a drilled?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fullscreen capture 20062013 235027.bmp.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	9100

A reamed finish would be great, I think brass may be a better material as it may hold the heat a bit more then Aluminium.

I don't want the heat to travel up into the cold end too quickly.

Have you seen the reprappro hot ends - I have the older version and it has been very reliable (the only problem was with a section of oversize filament - 2mm instead of 1.75 - can't really blame them for that) - I've put well over a kilometre of filament through with no other problems.

New
    http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapPro_Men...t_end_assembly

Old
    http://emakershop.com/RepRapPro_Mend...-2013-0205.pdf

The principle seems to be to create an abrupt transition between hot and cold zones by force cooling above the heater - this minimises the time the filament is semi molten and therefore the bulging which can cause jams.

The new version looks like it uses a PTFE liner which would remove the necessity for a smooth barrel as well as insulating the filament until it got to the melt zone.

Thread Information