Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Hi Skysurfer,
    The spindle comes off fairly easily... Just need the right tool! :-)
    1- on the back of the head tou will see a small slotted sensor attached to a metal plate - remove that... It is attached to the head with 2 bolts If I remember right?
    2- from the back of the spindle remove the locknut, pulley and perforated disk -> You will probably need a bearing puller to bet the pulley off
    Important: check for grub screws on the pulley before pulling with the bearing puller!
    3- Now comes the custom tool! You'll need a M20 threaded bar + washers and nuts + a piece of tube with an internal diameter greater than the spindle nose about 5" long + a big washer with an external diameter greater than the tube diameter (this could be just a piece of metal with a 20mm hole in the middle...).
    pass the M20 threaded bar through the spindle, place 2 washers on the threaded bar against the back of the spindle and 2 nuts behind them locked against each other.
    Now from the front of the spindle, place the piece of tube around the nose, then the big washer behind it, then 2 washers and a nut.
    4- With 2x 30mm spanners or adjustables... screw slowly the nut in the back of the spindle against the one on the front (clockwise).
    The spindle will slowly but surely move out...
    5- Done!

    RNR
    Old post warning !!!

    What is the max size diameter that can be turned on an Orac? I have the chance to buy one, just not sure looking at some specs what I could realistically fit into a suitable chuck. This will be either Alu or Brass, nothing too hard. But size matters here ;p

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Old post warning !!!

    What is the max size diameter that can be turned on an Orac? I have the chance to buy one, just not sure looking at some specs what I could realistically fit into a suitable chuck. This will be either Alu or Brass, nothing too hard. But size matters here ;p
    Hi Chaz,
    No idea what the maximum is... I never reached it.... But I did turn 2" bars without any problem.
    In brass I'd say as long the stock clears the bed and the carriage you should be fine (using the internal jaws).

    What kind of diameter are you thinking of ?

    The spindle bore is 20mm this limit the diameter if you have a long bar that need to go throu the spindle.
    But apart from that, the Orac is a very capable lathe. I mostly use it on stainless and a bit of ali. Brass would be a piece of cake.

    RNR

  3. #13
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Hi Chaz,
    No idea what the maximum is... I never reached it.... But I did turn 2" bars without any problem.
    In brass I'd say as long the stock clears the bed and the carriage you should be fine (using the internal jaws).

    What kind of diameter are you thinking of ?

    The spindle bore is 20mm this limit the diameter if you have a long bar that need to go throu the spindle.
    But apart from that, the Orac is a very capable lathe. I mostly use it on stainless and a bit of ali. Brass would be a piece of cake.

    RNR
    For brass, around 60mm. For Alu - 140mm (which I think will be too big).

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    For brass, around 60mm. For Alu - 140mm (which I think will be too big).
    60mm Brass no problem...
    140mm Alu, it depend... Is it a long piece or more like a disk ?
    If you don't need the carriage to get under then you good for up to 200mm. otherwise, you are limited to 110mm roughly.

    RNR

  5. #15
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    60mm Brass no problem...
    140mm Alu, it depend... Is it a long piece or more like a disk ?
    If you don't need the carriage to get under then you good for up to 200mm. otherwise, you are limited to 110mm roughly.

    RNR
    Disk, think of something like a wheel rim (scale RC).

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Disk, think of something like a wheel rim (scale RC).
    In that case, no problem... I believe the ORAC would be fine for you...

    Where are you based? Any close to Leeds / Bradford West Yorkshire?
    If you want you can come to my place and see by yourself...

    RNR

  7. #17
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    In that case, no problem... I believe the ORAC would be fine for you...

    Where are you based? Any close to Leeds / Bradford West Yorkshire?
    If you want you can come to my place and see by yourself...

    RNR
    Thanks. Used to live in Whitworth, just North of Rochdale but now in West London area. Thanks for the offer.

  8. #18
    IIRC, in a recent Issue of MEW was the changing of the orac control to a newer one described. I hope, I can find the right one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Kress Spindle upgrade to a 2kw
    By Metal pecker in forum Kress Milling Motors
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM
  2. denford orac tail stock dimensions
    By deisel in forum Lathes, Lathe Rebuilding & Conversions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-11-2013, 10:42 PM
  3. RFQ: Spindle for a Denford ORAC
    By rnr107 in forum Projects, Jobs & Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
  4. Orac lathe
    By phill05 in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-07-2012, 09:05 PM
  5. Mini Lathe - chuck key, long nose type sourceable?
    By HankMcSpank in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •