. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Hi Skysurfer,
    The spindle comes off fairly easily... Just need the right tool! :-)
    1- on the back of the head tou will see a small slotted sensor attached to a metal plate - remove that... It is attached to the head with 2 bolts If I remember right?
    2- from the back of the spindle remove the locknut, pulley and perforated disk -> You will probably need a bearing puller to bet the pulley off
    Important: check for grub screws on the pulley before pulling with the bearing puller!
    3- Now comes the custom tool! You'll need a M20 threaded bar + washers and nuts + a piece of tube with an internal diameter greater than the spindle nose about 5" long + a big washer with an external diameter greater than the tube diameter (this could be just a piece of metal with a 20mm hole in the middle...).
    pass the M20 threaded bar through the spindle, place 2 washers on the threaded bar against the back of the spindle and 2 nuts behind them locked against each other.
    Now from the front of the spindle, place the piece of tube around the nose, then the big washer behind it, then 2 washers and a nut.
    4- With 2x 30mm spanners or adjustables... screw slowly the nut in the back of the spindle against the one on the front (clockwise).
    The spindle will slowly but surely move out...
    5- Done!

RNR
    Old post warning !!!

What is the max size diameter that can be turned on an Orac? I have the chance to buy one, just not sure looking at some specs what I could realistically fit into a suitable chuck. This will be either Alu or Brass, nothing too hard. But size matters here ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Old post warning !!!

What is the max size diameter that can be turned on an Orac? I have the chance to buy one, just not sure looking at some specs what I could realistically fit into a suitable chuck. This will be either Alu or Brass, nothing too hard. But size matters here ;p
    Hi Chaz,
    No idea what the maximum is... I never reached it.... But I did turn 2" bars without any problem.
    In brass I'd say as long the stock clears the bed and the carriage you should be fine (using the internal jaws).

What kind of diameter are you thinking of ?

The spindle bore is 20mm this limit the diameter if you have a long bar that need to go throu the spindle.
    But apart from that, the Orac is a very capable lathe. I mostly use it on stainless and a bit of ali. Brass would be a piece of cake.

RNR

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi Chaz,
    No idea what the maximum is... I never reached it.... But I did turn 2" bars without any problem.
    In brass I'd say as long the stock clears the bed and the carriage you should be fine (using the internal jaws).

What kind of diameter are you thinking of ?

The spindle bore is 20mm this limit the diameter if you have a long bar that need to go throu the spindle.
    But apart from that, the Orac is a very capable lathe. I mostly use it on stainless and a bit of ali. Brass would be a piece of cake.

RNR
    For brass, around 60mm. For Alu - 140mm (which I think will be too big).

For brass, around 60mm. For Alu - 140mm (which I think will be too big).
    60mm Brass no problem...
    140mm Alu, it depend... Is it a long piece or more like a disk ?
    If you don't need the carriage to get under then you good for up to 200mm. otherwise, you are limited to 110mm roughly.

RNR

60mm Brass no problem...
    140mm Alu, it depend... Is it a long piece or more like a disk ?
    If you don't need the carriage to get under then you good for up to 200mm. otherwise, you are limited to 110mm roughly.

RNR
    Disk, think of something like a wheel rim (scale RC).

Disk, think of something like a wheel rim (scale RC).
    In that case, no problem... I believe the ORAC would be fine for you...

Where are you based? Any close to Leeds / Bradford West Yorkshire?
    If you want you can come to my place and see by yourself...

RNR

In that case, no problem... I believe the ORAC would be fine for you...

Where are you based? Any close to Leeds / Bradford West Yorkshire?
    If you want you can come to my place and see by yourself...

RNR
    Thanks. Used to live in Whitworth, just North of Rochdale but now in West London area. Thanks for the offer.

IIRC, in a recent Issue of MEW was the changing of the orac control to a newer one described. I hope, I can find the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupoty View Post
    I have an email for a guy who had a lot of old stock for the deford lathes, he has back plates if anyones interested.

Stuart
    Stuart, I'd be interested in a backplate for my Orac, can you please send me the contact info for that person?

thanks,
    c

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vandal968 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jskraba View Post
    Hi need a back plate for an Orac, can you let me have the 'guys' contact details
    Regards JCS
    Hello,

It was a while ago, (2013 apparently) I got the contact details from denford support themselves.

I will have a look back through my emails and see if I can find the email address they gave me and pass it to you.

:)

Stu

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stupoty For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information