. .

Thread: PCB tinning

Does anyone have any ideas on how to tin a completed PCB in the UK?

Ideally I want liquid tin similar to this: Liquid Tin | MG Chemicals where the PCB is immersed in the liquid which coats the copper in a layer of tin. But, this is a US based manufacturer and it seems impossible to get in the UK because of shipping dangerous chemicals laws or something like that.

This nano based immersion tin from crownhill seems an ideal alternative (Immersion Tin Ormecon CSN7001 250ml - £17.50 | Chemicals | Crownhill Associates) so I placed an order, but they recently emailed me to say my order has been cancelled because it is classified as dangerous goods and they cant deliver it.

Anyone know of other avenues?

I've used the stuff here ...

Mega-UK - PCB Chemicals (half way down the page "Immerse Tin Plating")

which works fine but stinks & doesn't store that long once diluted with water.

I ran across this video on Youtube a while back. Instead of plating, he actually "tins" the board with solder and it appears not to take to long either.

Last edited by Lee Roberts; 19-06-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added vid
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

Thanks for the replies guys,

I like the idea of tinning using solder but I dont have a solder gun like that and I doubt my iron will reach those temps. I might try the plating powder from MegaUK.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Information