Greetings fellow Earthmen.
    Just a few words to introduce myself.
    My name is Mike and I do tend to be a bit messy but I do clean up after myself!
    I am a self employed sign maker and have just found out that it is possible to make a CNC machine. I have jumped in and purchased some Rockcliff plans and am now wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew.

I currently own a computerised engraving machine which cost me a kings ransom so don't want to go down that expensive route again. What I am looking to do would be to build a machine that would cut out lettering from various materials. I would imagine a table size of about 610 x 610mm would be sufficient for my needs.
    Now my abillity to make things are pretty good but my knowledge of other things are....well to put it bluntly....ZERO.
    Electrics....I can wire a plug and there it ends.
    Electronics....I can break things easily, but haven't a clue how or where to start to build something.
    Don't talk about volts & watts as this goes over my head.
    I have very limited space for building this and where it will live after building it. (if I ever get that far:confused:)

How do I go about choosing the parts that I will need???
    I use a program called Engravlab for my engraver, would I be able to use this to run a CNC machine????
    OK now the "how long is a piece of string question" What sort of cost can I expect to pay for say a basic Rockcliff router or a flying gantry job. I just need some sort of ballpark figure to see if this project takes off or not.

I think I have a lot of homework to do and a lot of questions to ask.
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers me dears

2. Hi Mucky Mike, welcome to MYCNCUK. Please take the time to view the FAQ section for answers to questions you may have, if your building a new machine be sure to start a new build log detailing your progress !