. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    therefore maybe something like these at the right speed...

Dremel Brad Point Drill Bit Set - 631 | eBay (they go up to 1/4")

never used them for tin, but they work great on acrylic! (& handy to have in your arsenal of bits - especially if your machine is confined/restricted to a 1/8" collet, such as a rotary tool in this arrangment - https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...g&ved=0CCAQrRI)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 28-06-2013 at 10:16 AM.

I want to avoid drilling if I can , I want a sort of high bred clamp come punch template combo , ill work on it and see what I can do, thanks for the replies guys :)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    juliuscaesar
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Fivetide
    regarding die press, a decent pillar drill should provide enough pressure for punching thin stuff,clamp your die to the table (simples)

What about this sort of punch press?
    eBay item no.

Whitney punch
    Ebay 221245161892
    peter

You'd probably get a decent hole if they were drilled with a milling slot drill. Probably a nice job for a CNC. Unless you fancy building a CNC punching machine...

Rotabroach annular cutter (aka mag drill cutter) often does a good job on sheet too... but you'd probably need a mill to hold the shank (fits nicely in a 19 mm ER32 collet). Sizes go down to 12 mm in standard series, never tried the 'mini' ones.
    --
    ah just seen it's a 1/4 inch hole so as you were...
    Last edited by bikepete; 30-06-2013 at 10:10 PM.

All great ideas but I have to be quite accurate with the holes, after marking them out then drilling chances are they won’t be that accurate. The PCB has about 5 mounted parts that need to go through the holes on different sides and there’s no play. Plus they have to be neat. So that’s why Im thinking of making a template I can slip over the edge of the tin box, sort of an inverted U shape and then using a hardened bolt that’s been cut down with a cutting edge done on a lathe that then screws through the die and punches out the holes.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    A bit like these:-
    Q.max Sheet Metal Hole Punch 25mm
    But I don't think they are made down to 5mm. ...Clive

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information