. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guys I’m trying to punch some holes in a tobacco tin for my CMOY amps , now I did buy Fiskars Fiskars 1/4 Inch Hand Punch, Circle but I bent it on the first use , waste of time really ! I think maybe the tobacco tins are maybe tougher than the US mint tins .. dunno . Anyway any ideas of what I could build to punch the holes or buy? I am thinking of a bracket that slots over the tins front and ( I need three holes) maybe use pointed bolts I’d have to tap the bracket of course but it would be a lot more accurate ? Anyway maybe you have a simple solution?

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    How about a paper hole punch as in this vid;- cMoyBB v2.02 Casing Assembly - YouTube
    ... Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    How about a paper hole punch as in this vid;- cMoyBB v2.02 Casing Assembly - YouTube
    ... Clive
    Hi Clive thats the one I bought but it was useless :(

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any reason why you would just not drill it? put a piece of wood underneath, line up point to drill, place wood on top then drill? clamp it if you can.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

When I needed to punch some holes in some shim steel I just made a simple punch. It was also 1/4", so I ground a likely looking profile on the end of a piece of 1/4" HSS bar I had lying around, then drilled/reamed a hole the same size through two block of steel. Put the shim between and tap the bar with a hammer and you get a nice hole. If you need to punch a lot of holes this might be worth it, otherwise, as the previous reply says, just clamp it between two bits of wood and drill through it.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I guess it all depends on the quantity of tins you want to put holes in. If you're doing a few, then a nicely constructed drilling jig would allow you to quickly clamp and drill all your holes within a minute or two.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    milehighclub
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:59 PM.

I am aiming to do quite alot , the drill I have tried it tends to tear the metal and because its PCB mounted equipment I want it quite precise so it looks good.. i have looked at a numatic set of rams , but i want something simple to start with.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have a look on the web for a Whitney hand punch, I have an old one that goes to 1/4", does 16swg steel ok but you should centre punch first to get a good location.

Just had a look on the web and they appear to be quite expensive! But they do work!!
    peter

To drill holes in thin sheet steel as others have said sandwich between to pieces of wood but main thing is do not use a normal jobbers drill but grind one up like a wood bit as a wing and spur.
    If you have decent wood bits you could just use one of these but most i have come across aren't even hardened hence the grinding up of the wing and spur.

Worth keeping a few as they are also ideal on plastics and prevent splitting as they exit the hole.

John S.
    Last edited by John S; 28-06-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    John S -

11. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information