. .
    Can anyone gives some advise as to what you do to reduce the noise of your CNC in your workshop..

The last thing i want is the next doors complaining or reporting!

do You have any special insulation,double glazing ect or are the machines 'not too noisy'
    (dont have cnc yet)

Thank you

Two main areas of noise on a CNC router is the spindle and the actual cutting.
    Spindle can be helped by using the high speed spindles that many fit here, usually the water cooled versions. A router is really a no no based on noise.

Cutting noises, tool into the material are harder to control and often louder than a spindle anyway.
    Work clamping, where the machine is sited can al lay a big part in how much noise is generated.
    John S -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Maybe you could ask if any member on the forum who is nearish to you would mind you paying them a visit which would give you a better idea about noise levels.
    How well you get on with next door & how close your workshop will be to them will probably play a big part, doubt if soundproofing would be cheap if it were required.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to martin54 For This Useful Post:

I'm just off J25, M1 and don't mind firing my router up but in all fairness it's only a small Isel with 300 x 300 bed and air cooled high speed spindle
    John S -

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

well, weve not purchased our cnc yet, so guess we will have to keep an eye out for it to have a high speed spindle

Quote Originally Posted by kemo_2002 View Post
    Thanks

well, weve not purchased our cnc yet, so guess we will have to keep an eye out for it to have a high speed spindle
    What John said re spindles, also need to think about shop vac vs using house hold vacuum cleaners as they tend to be very noisy, obvious one I know but just thought I would mention it.

In my workshop I will be insulating all round with polystyrene sheets, this works well and dose a nice job in the summer and winter. Thickness used will depend on what your frame work is i.e depth, you also want to have a space for a cavity 1 inch should do it, push the poly as close to the outside wall as you can, so the cavity is in between the poly and your internal wall (typically plasterboard).

I've used the word polystyrene as the poor mans option for Kingspan, Celotex, Recticel etc, you can also buy it online (ebay - POLYSTYRENE SHEET 25MMTH 2400X 1200 12 SHEETS) for a better price then the others.

Garage conversions are sometimes done this way on the existing floor, poly down, T&G chip board on top, often called a floating floor and much like the wood flooring people put down in the house i.e gap left around the outer perimeter to allow for movement (floating floor).

Other than that I cant really think of anything else that would make enough noise to upset, the spindle is defo the main one though and a standard wood router will defo have them nocking if you plan to run it for long enough ;).

.Me
    .Me

When I built my workshop I introduced 50mm acoustic insulation in the walls, this reduces noise by 60%
    You could try building a cover over the machine and lining this with acoustic foam, I did this originally but found the cover intrudes access to the machine and made cleaning difficult both of these problems can be over come

I bought some sheets of 50mm rockwool foam, stuck it to a thin piece of plywood and wrapped the whole thing in black stage curtain (fire retardant). I have 4 of these handy movable panels which absorb sound dead. I usually have them in the corners of the workshop up high. You can get rockwool off eBay.

Thread Information