. .
    Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Gents,

recently I acquired a set of telescoping gauges and small bore gauges. Both sets lightly used, so I thought I'd give them a clean and oiled them up nicely. Got some Singer machine oil which I've seen recommended on a few machining forums for lubing mics etc., but I'm not 100% sure what to use for the overall clean. The tools are not overly dirty, mostly just some old grease here and there, some gummed up grease inside the tele gauges and the romantic aroma of musk / mold on the whole lot (binned the pouches, but the smells sticks to the handles somehow). Any suggestions? I'm guessing I'll disassemble the whole lot and soak overnight, then dry, lube and re-assemble.

Regards,
    dsc.

WD40. Marvellous stuff and smells lovely.

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I was under the impression that WD40 leaves a slightly sticky film and is not recommended. I was leaning more towards spirits, isopropyl alcohol etc.

Regards,
    dsc.

Thread Information