Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    booski , when you say a simple probe what do you mean ? What do you attach the other end of the croc clip to ? I couldnt see any notes on actually setting up the hardware on the site .
    The cutting booski refers to is achieving a constant depth (thereby catering for bulges & valleys on your copper board as it isolates your pcb tracks)...that's what autolevellers do.

    i use CNC-USB (which has autolevelling built in), but there are other flavours out & about (indeed there was a thread discussing one that a memeber here had done a week or two ago)

  2. #12
    Yeah, pretty much. I just tape a piece of wire to the board with a bit of tape and then a croc clip to my spindle. The software then probes the height of the board.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by booski View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. I just tape a piece of wire to the board with a bit of tape and then a croc clip to my spindle. The software then probes the height of the board.
    How does the feedback of the tip and croc clip get back to the computer ?

    Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. #14
    Well, I have a simple parallel port chinese TB6560 controller and I use one of the input pins on the controller setup in LinuxCNC as a probe. There are 5 input pins on my controller and 1 common, so with a lead connected to the common and another connected to the input.

    With the probe attached to the tool, the Z axis comes down and when the tool makes contact with the board, it measures the height and adjusts the rest of the g-code to suit the board at that point.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by booski View Post
    Well, I have a simple parallel port chinese TB6560 controller and I use one of the input pins on the controller setup in LinuxCNC as a probe. There are 5 input pins on my controller and 1 common, so with a lead connected to the common and another connected to the input.

    With the probe attached to the tool, the Z axis comes down and when the tool makes contact with the board, it measures the height and adjusts the rest of the g-code to suit the board at that point.
    which is fine until you forget to remove the croc clip before cutting :) . Also a solid tool rather than a sprung 'plunger' means the Z-travel, and therefore the mapping speed, has to be much slower to avoid damaging the copper surface... but it works....

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by booski View Post
    Well, I have a simple parallel port chinese TB6560 controller and I use one of the input pins on the controller setup in LinuxCNC as a probe. There are 5 input pins on my controller and 1 common, so with a lead connected to the common and another connected to the input.

    With the probe attached to the tool, the Z axis comes down and when the tool makes contact with the board, it measures the height and adjusts the rest of the g-code to suit the board at that point.
    Is there any setup instructions for the probe ?

    Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    which is fine until you forget to remove the croc clip before cutting :) . Also a solid tool rather than a sprung 'plunger' means the Z-travel, and therefore the mapping speed, has to be much slower to avoid damaging the copper surface... but it works....
    Haha, yeah, must remember to remove the probe.
    Fortunately, my DIY spindle motor has pillars holding the motor and so is directly connected to the tool so I haven't got to worry about removing the croc clip.

    The autoleveller software if I remember correctly allows you to set the probing speed which default is 100mm/m I think so it's very slow and the machine reacts quick enough that it doesn't damage the board. Similarly, I set the retract height to 1mm so that it retracts quickly and moves to the next point quicker. Could even set it to much less than that really for quick probing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. engineers square - recommendations
    By dsc in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM
  2. WANTED: 3-Axis Mill recommendations
    By TomB in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
  3. CNC Lathe recommendations?
    By UltraMagnus in forum Lathes, Lathe Rebuilding & Conversions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM
  4. Looking for Lathe Cutting Tools
    By Zeeshan in forum Tool & Tooling Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
  5. UK Supplier of Cutting tools
    By Ccrewz in forum Tool & Tooling Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •