. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So back to my original question, my new machine running 4.2a 50v steppers and a 3kw spindle I'll be drawing somewhere in the range of 5-6 thousand watts.
    even a basic consumer unit will cover those needs easily.

what do you mean by having an isolator in the house? do you mean one line straight from the house's RCD to its own MCB in then going to the shed?

I'm probably not going to attempt it and see if my family are owed any favors, I just want to learn a bit more :)

2. At 6kW you'll almost certainly need a separate circuit and isolation switch off the meter (unless you have a recent 17th reg consumer unit with a spare unprotected way) and a secondary split load distribution unit with 2 rcd and separate power & lighting circuits in the shed as you certainly don't want to lose the shed lighting if the power circuit trips. You'll need 4mm SWA cable as 2.5mm is marginal on voltage drop.

Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    .. 4.2a 50v steppers and a 3kw spindle I'll be drawing somewhere in the range of 5-6 thousand watts.......I just want to learn a bit more :)
    4.2A @ 50V is 210Watts

X 3 = 630w

It`s 630W at 50V or 250V , for calculation and allowing power supply losses call it a 1 kilowatt plus your 3 Kw spindle sounds like your allowing 1-2kW for lighting...

if you want to learn a bit more , read the link previously provided.

BUT if you are unsure about calculating loads , exporting power outdoors is considerably more involved and will be best left to someone comfortable with calculating things like earth impedance and disconnect time.
    Last edited by Musht; 29-07-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information