. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi MC
    Yea before i strip the machine down the router was running great im going to have to check and see if there is another power supply that was running the router, i know there is one under the table but i thought taht was for the vacuum pump maybe im using the wrong supply, I thought with that one being 110v it would be fine, ill have a look tomorrow and let you know.
    Cheers

Hi guys heres a couple of phots of the motor under the table that i thought was for the pump, does anyone know how this should be wired as the is no input indication on the end, thanks for the helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374331941.130981.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	9320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374331961.866836.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	9321

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Well to me its looks like the red and blue wires is going to the square block and that is your DC out +ve and -ve at the other end is mains AC in where it is marked L and N but the earth seems to be connected to the bolt that is going through the centre of the transformer and if here is a metal plate on top it could be causing a shorted turn in the transformer. that needs checking out.

One other point is you need to check if this was wired for 110V or 230V before use and it need a good clean up with new connection block fitted ...Clive

This is not a motor it is a power supply
    Last edited by Clive S; 20-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That's a DC powersupply.

Before you stripped the electrics, did you take a note of where the router was wired previously?
    I'm wondering if somebody had just wired it into the 240 previously...

Check the motor plate on the porter cable. I had one that was definately 240 v.

Hi guys
    Thanks for the comments the motor is definitly 120v so i think i will get a 110v site transformer and try one of those I can find any info on the power supply i have and dont want to risk damaging the router motor.
    I'll keep you informed.
    Cheers

Have you considered charging the router for a good spindle, such as this one:

WATER-COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE 2.2KW + MATCHING INVERTER d8 | eBay

Plenty of other threads saying why they're so much better than standard routers...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

HiJonathon
    I have been looking at different routers but i wa s looking to get one the same diameter as the porter cable router to save making any adjustments to the router and also i want one to be able to cut aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomnewry View Post
    I have been looking at different routers but i wa s looking to get one the same diameter as the porter cable router to save making any adjustments to the router
    You would surely only need to make or buy a spindle mount? If you post a picture showing how the current one is mounted then I/we can advise how to change it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomnewry View Post
    and also i want one to be able to cut aluminum.
    The type I linked to will be far better at cutting aluminium than the one you have since, among other things, it is much stronger.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Hi Jonathan
    The mount on my machine is for a 102 mm diameter motor its just handy if i don't have to change it.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information