. .

Thread: BK12 end float?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. That can't be right. The 7000 series bearings are not designed for that much misalignment.

http://www.skf.com/group/products/be...ent/index.html

I agree. It doesn't seem right that we have to misalign the bearing to prevent end float. Are these just crappy bearings or am I being thick?

3. Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    I agree. It doesn't seem right that we have to misalign the bearing to prevent end float. Are these just crappy bearings or am I being thick?
    Is the bearing seat machined square? and spotlessly clean.. no swarf or dirt in there?
    Last edited by irving2008; 19-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Haven't checked squareness of the bore/seat. Will check that tonight. Seats should be pretty clean as I stripped the blocks, cleaned them and greased the bearings.

Could I be OVER tightening the nut? I'm basically putting a piece of copper tube over the ballscrew shaft end, holding with a pair of pliers and tightening the nut until the pliers slip. Could this have damaged the bearings??

Problem solved. Couldn't get any preload with the bearings back to back so fitted a 0.2mm shim washer between the bearings to separate the outer races. I was then able to preload the bearings which worked out at finger tight plus about 1/4 of a turn of the lock nut. End float is now less than 0.01mm. Every day day is school day!

glad to hear that you sorted it out !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information