. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    This works very well, it's this bottle trap, Toolstation > Plumbing > Traps & Waste > Shallow Bottle Trap with the guts, top and bottom cut off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust1.JPG 
Views:	6090 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	12203

The pipe is 40mm. Because the bottom part of the trap screws on, plus the fact it was only £2.24, I was thinking that a few could be bought so that skirts of different lengths could be attached to the removable part thus enabling quick changing of skirts. In reality the depth of the trap as shown in the photo is ideal for a 75mm long cutter but for a shorter 12mm long cutter my collet length is too short and the body of the spindle motor crashes into the top of the bottle trap.
    The plan was to manually set the height of it to just above the workpiece, independent of the Z axis.

I tried it with a 12.7mm dia. cutter 5mm DOC and it picked up every particle, the suction was high using one of these http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-345940/d...FTHItAodYxUAwQ, no need for a 100mm pipe whatsoever.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-04-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Looks very nice. Very informative to know that 40 mm pipe can deal with the dust.

You raise the pipe and lower it when needed via bracket or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    Looks very nice. Very informative to know that 40 mm pipe can deal with the dust.

You raise the pipe and lower it when needed via bracket or similar?
    I started to design a 'proper job' based upon the experiment but computer problems have delayed that.
    At first I thought it would be best to set the height just above the work surface and that would be great if you were cutting flat stuff like mdf, ply, etc. but with 3D shapes on thick material it might not be ideal.
    The skirt needs to be kept short otherwise it reduces efficiency and get's caught in the cutter so at the moment I'm thinking that for my requirement it's best to have it go up and down with the spindle but also have it manually adjustable so the skirt matches the cutter. Something like this; the 40mm pipe goes in the hole on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust-shoe2.jpg 
Views:	1917 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	12689
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 30-06-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information