. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Agreed with the 1600oz-in motors - they'd be excessive and might even perform worse than Nema 24 motors.

Me
    Funny that because I remember many months ago having a nice long telephone conversation with Clive about doing this.!!. .

Boscoe a man of many talents ! Where the hell do you find the time for all this stuff lol ! looks good mate better than anything I could make.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I have done okay for a diy job the top rails only move out at the ends by about 1.5mm and are level within 0.2 degrees from end to end.

Unfortunately due to my limited finds going into Uni I won't be able to get the next step done for a while. I have got a few quotes on Aliexpress for the SBR20 X/Z rails and bearings - the best I got is 142USD inc postage to the UK which I think is pretty good.
    Last edited by Boscoe; 14-08-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I have done okay for a diy job the top rails only move out at the ends by about 1.5mm and are level within 0.2 degrees from end to end.
    Maybe wrong but not sure your understanding fully what's meant with being level.? . . . Rails Being level makes no difference, they could be at 45deg and machine will still perform fine, it's the relationship between the tops of both rails. They MUST be on the same plane if not then you'll never have a accurate machine. Measuring for this is not so easy and angle doesn't come into, both rails could be perfectly level but still not on the same plane.

Has for top rails moving out 1.5mm again that doesn't matter so long has the linear rails are mounted parallel to each other.

What would matter with the top rail is if they were tilted which would make the top surface plane tilted at an angle relative to the other rail, effectively creating 2 planes at different angles to each other.
    To imagine what I mean look at the top rail End on, now imagine there's a line extending parallel to the top surface or plane across to the other top rail. If either rail is tilted they won't align and you'll have 2 planes at different angles.!

Now this won't affect you to much because your planing on using round rail and the way they work it allows some error in this regards and I'm explaining this in case you win lottery or decide to blow your grant change your mind and use profiled rail also for the benefit of others who may not understand the importance.!
    If you did use the much better Profiled linear rail then it would cause serious problems because when you fasten the gantry to the bearings, the bearing plates are at angle so when tightened down the gantry will try to twist them into the same plane has it and make them lock solid.

These may seem like small things but they have HUGE impact on how accurate and smooth the machine performs and sorting any error here at this stage is much much much better than trying to deal with it when machines built.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-08-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information