. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hello everyone,

Im Alan, from just near Hucknall in Nottinghamshire. Im just starting in the world of CNC milling, so will be spending the next few nights reading through all the threads i can.

My plan is to see if its viable to build a small machine that can mill 95x95mm Aluminum blocks. It'll need to be to a high accuracy, as i plan to use the cut blocks on my little plastic injection moulding machine im currently fixing up. If there are any members around my area, would love to pick there brains. Im not from an engineering background, but i'm always willing to put my mind to tasks!

I look forward to learning some more on the CNC machines.

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Alan,

The Midlands seems to be very well represented on this board, nice to see another member joining the fold!

I'd offer to let you pick my brains but there's nothing there to pick. Besides, as my forum history might show, I'm taking the slow approach - currently averaging 12 months in between purchasing each component. In fact the toroidal transformer(s) for the PSU got delivered this morning, based on my last thread on the matter in September 2012...

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Hello!

I'm interested in the bit about the little plastic injection moulding machine, as that is something I might be looking into at some point in the not too distant future.

As for a suitable machine, unless you have a huge budget, you'll be looking at either a very compact/sturdy scratch build, or possibly something like a X2/3 and retrofitting it.

Hi Alan, welcome to the forum. You certainly have a several of very experienced and competant members fairly close to you. What sort of items are you planning to mould? Good luck. G.

I'm based in Long Eaton. Couple of miles from M1 J25

You are welcome to pop round but don't forget the Hobnobs

Quote Originally Posted by deadmeat30 View Post
    My plan is to see if its viable to build a small machine that can mill 95x95mm Aluminum blocks.
    If your just wanting to mill small materiel sizes like this then milling machine will be by far best option, either buy manual mill and convert to CNC or pay thru nose and buy ready made.!! . . . John S is your man to see for milling machine on both counts.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-08-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Hello everyone,

It'll need to be to a high accuracy, as i plan to use the cut blocks on my little plastic injection moulding machine im currently fixing up.
    Thanks,
    Alan
    hello alan what moulding machine have you got?manual/pneumatic?hydraulic?.its some thing im dabbling in but havent run anything through mine yet.
    Last edited by dazza; 13-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Hey all,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Let me answer a few questions.

Rogue
    Re: Hello from Nottingham

Hi Alan,

The Midlands seems to be very well represented on this board, nice to see another member joining the fold!

I'd offer to let you pick my brains but there's nothing there to pick. Besides, as my forum history might show, I'm taking the slow approach - currently averaging 12 months in between purchasing each component. In fact the toroidal transformer(s) for the PSU got delivered this morning, based on my last thread on the matter in September 2012...
    Thanks Rogue,

Do you have a build thread at all?

m_c

Hello!

I'm interested in the bit about the little plastic injection moulding machine, as that is something I might be looking into at some point in the not too distant future.

As for a suitable machine, unless you have a huge budget, you'll be looking at either a very compact/sturdy scratch build, or possibly something like a X2/3 and retrofitting it.
    Thanks m-c,

Ill come onto my Plastic injection machine later, its only a small thing.

Sadly i dont have HUGE budget, but my thoughts are, that over time getting the mould presses made, I could instead invest in a milling machine now, and over time save money. What kind of investment is this going to cost to get a nice compact/scratch build?

One thing i dont have is the workshop full of wondrous precision pillar drill and milling machines or lathes, im sure that would make my life much easier.

GEOFFREY

Hi Alan, welcome to the forum. You certainly have a several of very experienced and competant members fairly close to you. What sort of items are you planning to mould? Good luck. G.
    Thanks GEOFFREY,

Thats good to hear, looking forwards to learning about milling machines. Im hoping to make some little wargaming miniatures. I currently cast models in resin with silicone moulds, but im always interested in trying new things, so plastic injection moulding is the next step!

John S

I'm based in Long Eaton. Couple of miles from M1 J25

You are welcome to pop round but don't forget the Hobnobs
    Thanks John S,

Thats a lovely offer, and something I'll be greatful to take you up on sometime! Im just located at J27, so not far at all . Plain or chocolate Hobnobs?

JAZZCNC

If your just wanting to mill small materiel sizes like this then milling machine will be by far best option, either buy manual mill and convert to CNC or pay thru nose and buy ready made.!! . . . John S is your man to see for milling machine on both counts.
    Thanks for the advise, I'll be sure to question John S to death ;)

deisel

hello alan what moulding machine have you got?manual/pneumatic?hydraulic?.its some thing im dabbling in but havent run anything through mine yet.
    Hi deisel,

I'll give some more details of my machine as a number of people have now asked about it. I have a little Arburg C4 machine, it runs on compressed air. It has both automatic and semi-automatic modes. The machine was built in around 1953, so it rather old. I have spent the past few weeks cleaning it up and it. It can hold little 95mm x 95mm mould plates (hense why im looking at a milling machine to make them). I'll attach some pictures of it, I won it on ebay a little while back, and cant wait to get it running fully.

Heres my little beauty!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4123.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	9441
    Here is the Electronic timer and old thermostat

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	9442
    The mould plate area and injection nozzle

Name:	IMG_4125.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	9443
    Inside the new Thermostat i just finished

Name:	IMG_20130813_202634.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	9444
    View of the PID from the front with on/off switch

Name:	IMG_20130813_202719.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	9445

Thanks John S,

Thats a lovely offer, and something I'll be greatful to take you up on sometime! Im just located at J27, so not far at all . Plain or chocolate Hobnobs?

Plain, we are not all philistines on here, anyway chocolate melts when you dunk them.

Like decent coffee do you ?

PM sent with details.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Like decent coffee do you ?
    By that you mean crude Oil. .!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information