. .

Thread: Mach3 vs Mach4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Is it worth jumping in and getting the tried and tested Mach3 now, or wait until Mach4 is released and get the latest and greatest features ?

From the website, there's no upgrade path from 3 to 4 - which seems an, erm, brave decision on their part - so whatever I buy will be in use for the next few years.

It's to run an MV3 through a Gecko G540, so Mach3 has by far the largest user-base and knowledge-base.

Adrian.

What's wrong with LinuxCNC, which is free for all?

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    What's wrong with LinuxCNC, which is free for all?
    Nothing wrong if you speak Geek and it also not always keen on G540's.!! Seen reports that on some computers, I know to least a Dell it won't work with unless you turn Charge pump off.. . .Not Good.!!

It's also been told by some very experienced users that it's shite at doing CV (contant velocity) so jerky jerky.!!

Mach3 will do every thing you want and I wouldn't wait for Mach4 has you'll have a long wait it's still 6-12 months away and even then I wouldn't buy it for at least a year after release until all the major bugs are ironed out.

It won't offer much to hobby users that mach3 already gives other than possibly better performance from Art's new Parallel port driver.

Buy Mach3 with Gerry's 2010 screen set and get cutting is my advise.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nothing wrong if you speak Geek
    Don't be scared of something none-Microsoft.

Installing and setting up LinuxCNC was easier than Windows on my particular machine, but I know some people struggle. I think a lot of the time, they expect it work like Windows and give up if something is not the same. Having said that, Android phones are pretty popular nowadays, but I wonder how many people realise they're actually using Linux?
    Last edited by birchy; 17-08-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It's also been told by some very experienced users that it's shite at doing CV (contant velocity) so jerky jerky.!!
    If anything I think it's smoother than Mach3 was, certainly not worse.

Either Mach3 or LinuxCNC would most likely be fine - I always advise trying both and just see which you like best.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I always advise trying both and just see which you like best.
    Absolutely. Use the right tool for the job - i.e. the one you find most productive. I would say at least TRY LinuxCNC first as it's totally free, then if you don't like it, get your hand in your pocket and buy Windows and Mach.

You could also download Eding cnc and give that a try as well before you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    You could also download Eding cnc and give that a try as well before you decide.
    Not heard of that before. Is this the right page? Eding CNC - PC based CNC control

Do you have to use the Eding controller or can you just use the free software?

Thanks all.

I guess I could comfortably wear the Geek hat, as I've run FreeBSD based mail, web and DNS servers for around 10 years.

> 6-12 months away

Interesting. Definitely not going to wait that long for it to arrive, and staying away from a .0 release is always good advice

I already have the PC and Windows XP, so there's no cost involved there.

Guess I'll try both once the G540 arrives and see which one breaks less bits

Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If anything I think it's smoother than Mach3 was, certainly not worse.
    That all depends if the cutting your doing requires good CV or not.?. . . . I can't or won't argue because not interested in Linux CNC has I'm very happy with Mach3 as it does all I want.

I can thou comment on the Geek issue thou because I've seen many Very very very experienced Mach3 users who have got disgruntled with Mach3 for one reason or another(mostly lathe users) and migrate to Linux only to come back saying the Linux guru's won't help unless your into programming and even then the answer is usually fix it your self.!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information