. .

Thread: Mach3 vs Mach4

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I guess I could comfortably wear the Geek hat, as I've run FreeBSD based mail, web and DNS servers
    LinuxCNC would be the natural choice, then. It can be a bit finicky with PC hardware as, unlike Mach, it uses a realtime kernel for smoother control. Best thing to do is run the Live CD (no need to install) and run the Jitter test to see where your PC stands. Wifi cards and on-board graphics seem to be the worst culprits for poor response times. If you have neither of those, then you'll probably be good to go "straight out of the box".

birchy,
    yes thats the right one. You can try the software in simulation mode but as far as I know you need his hardware to run it with a machine. I have been using it since I built my machine and I like it. It gets regular updates and Bert gets back to you quickly if you mail him with a problem or question.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    You can try the software in simulation mode but as far as I know you need his hardware to run it with a machine. I have been using it since I built my machine and I like it. It gets regular updates and Bert gets back to you quickly if you mail him with a problem or question.
    OMG, I didn't realise that Bert's Artificial Intelligence had evolved so much that he's now writing his own software! (personal joke here...my trusty old self-programmed betting "bot" was nick-named Bert many years ago).

Sour grapes to those that poo poo linux because they do not understand what they are doing without the crutch of microsft. Always used Emc2 (linuxcnc) and since setting it up never had a problem. At least the linux fraternity will never shove it's problem under the carpet. Once you get it set up it works great, the forum will get you through most problems you may have (not many as they have all been seen before). PC is biggest hurdle, but if you look on their site they list a good few that work but what i find is the simpler the machine and you switch all the on board stuff off that is not needed you are fine. Check out mother boards that boast high back bus speeds rather that processor speeds. a good chunk of ram, separate graphics cards with good ramdac and you are on your way.
    Last edited by Swarfing; 18-08-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    At least the linux fraternity will never shove it's problem under the carpet.
    Ah ah that's a joke surely.?? . . .Only last week on Mach yahoo someone was complaining that the almighty Linux guru's wouldn't or couldn't fix the G540 issue they insisted it wasn't Linux at fault it must be G540 or PC at fault.!! Even thou it works fine with Mach on same PC.!!

Now I know all software has bugs, Mach3 just like Linux has it's fare share but it's the manner of help that's available to the lay man that knows nothing about PC or Control software and in my experience thru helping and speaking to others and also listening to inexperienced and vastly experienced users alike who have tried both then Mach3 support is much better.
    Also regards the software it's self they tend to like Mach better for it's flexibility and being very configurable to there needs with a much bigger user base of all experience levels.

Each to there own I suppose but my using Mach has nothing to do with Microsoft or any other operating system, I just like how it works and the fact I can contact the guy who writes the code that makes it run if needed.!! . . . Wouldn't care if it run on Wonker vision I'd still use it.!!

Ok answer me this because i don't know latest state of play.

In Mach if you break a tool you can pause, fit new tool, reset the offsets and carry on.
    Now at one time in EMC as it was called you couldn't do this .
    Les Newall of Sheetcam fame altered the program, changed it so it would and sent the code in.

To my knowledge and it's not current this still has not been implemented

Biggest problem with the development committee is they are programmers, not machinists and if they can't see a use for a feature it doesn't get put in.

Now someone will tell me yes like Les you can alter it but end of the day 99% of the uses just want to be button pushers.

The problem with geeks is they don't know they are geeks.
    John S -

John i can hit the stop button change tool and reset offset at any time throughout the cycle.

Ah ah that's a joke surely.?? . . .Only last week on Mach yahoo someone was complaining that the almighty Linux guru's wouldn't or couldn't fix the G540 issue they insisted it wasn't Linux at fault it must be G540 or PC at fault.!! Even thou it works fine with Mach on same PC.!!
    Like i said sour grapes

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Like i said sour grapes
    I wouldn't call it sour grapes I'd call it far worse if I'd been using Linux before then upgraded all my control to run a G540 then Linux went "Computer says NO" ..!! But it worked fine on other control software on same PC.!

The comment was just to highlight BOTH software's have issues and the All might Linux GURU committee don't always fix issues and have the same "sweeping under" broom when it suits them.!!

Anyway I'm away to start making swarf soon can't hang around all day talking to you losser Geeks.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 18-08-2013 at 10:42 AM.

how many people are suffering the issue? and why would one controller out of many manufactures be he be all and end all of the software? i wonder how many manufacturers of controllers have problems with M3/4?

And the so called problem people are experiencing is just a configuration problem and people not understanding the G540's limits.

Example
    LinuxCNC Support Forum :: Topic: Axis configuration with a gecko g540 (1/1)

Hi,
    my oppinion is :
    Depends on how exactly you value your time.
    When i was brand new in CNC I tried both and payed Mach3. The machine i bought had personal mach3 screens that saved me a lot of fiddling. Had some problems and they were quickly solved by the guy that made the machine. had another problems and in a minute they were solved or by personal email from the Mach3 team or in the Mach forum. Needed some personalizing of the screen and for a couple of box a guy did it /from the Mach3 forum.

Look at the Mach3 price like your paying for the support, not the program itself.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 18-08-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information