. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    You taking the Pi** M8
    Strange as it may seem, there are many people who may have extensive experience of CNC Routers, 3D printers, etc. who have never seen, let alone used a lathe (or for that matter a proper milling machine). So its a perfectly reasonable question. Working with round, rather than flat, stock is a whole new ball game even tho many skills are transferable.

@dudz. Have a look at the videos at MIT TechTV – Videos
    specifically the two titled Machine Shop 8 and 9. Bit dated, old big machines and American, but still a useful intro to the skills...

Dudz
    apologies for any offense

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Look for indexable tooling and you'll see different forms and cutting angle's etc.
    One thing worth mentioning about the indexable tooling is not to get one of those sets with lots of different tools for a seemingly good price. Apparently they'll be poor quality, so you're much better off buying just the ones you need individually. To start with you're probably much better off using HSS tool steel and grinding your own since it's really easy to do and saves a lot of money. It's only when you start cutting hard materials, or bigger quantities that you'll get fed up of regrinding the tool and want a carbide one.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Apparently they'll be poor quality, so you're much better off buying just the ones you need individually.
    In addition to this, particularly if buying from eBay, make yourself familiar with what's in the the "machine tool sets". Some sellers start off with these but sell the contents individually to make more profit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to birchy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    ...an example = milling down a 40mmx100mm round solid bar of mild steel to 35mmx100mm, then cutting a round pocket in the center at one end ?
    If this is a typical size job then IMO and if you have room you would be better off with something bigger than a C3. Just looked on Arc Euro and it only weighs 40 kg.

The job is within its size spec (I think - swing over cross-slide is not given) so you should be able to do it via loads of small cuts but the speed and sheer pleasure of doing the same job on say 400kg of secondhand proper industrial lathe is in a different league.

Something like a secondhand Boxford should cost much the same money and be a gazillion times stronger and more rigid. Loads on ebay, Gumtree, etc., choose one with all the tooling. May be a bit worn but for me, I'd live with that rather than try turning big lumps of steel on a wet noodle of a 40 kg machine. Info at e.g.

Boxford Lathes

IMO of course but the extra power and weight of a 'proper' lathe (and there are plenty of others apart from Boxford) is well worth the effort to get one moved...

Personally I'd get a three phase machine and power it on an inverter (smoother, gives you variable speed) but there are plenty of single phase motor Boxfords around if this isn't something you don't fancy tackling straight away.

If you've no space not an option perhaps but worth considering IMO.

Oh and interrupted cuts on square stock will show up the difference even more - don't think taking 40mm square steel to round on a C3 would be much fun (but would admit I've never owned one - but I did have a Myford for a while and that was bad enough - get heavier than that too for 40mm steel!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bikepete For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    iwonderifleewilleverstopfeckingwithsettings
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 11:03 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Dudz
    apologies for any offense
    No Problem, mekanik
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Great responses there thanks.
    Good videos too thanks Jonathon. just watched a bit of one.

It may be the case of getting the parts I need made now by someone else, while I try to obtain a good machine then. I am still getting used to my CNC/router. But I would love a lathe soon.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Quote Originally Posted by bikepete View Post
    Something like a secondhand Boxford should cost much the same money and be a gazillion times stronger and more rigid. Loads on ebay, Gumtree, etc., choose one with all the tooling.
    Completely agree Pete but Dudz's in France so he may struggle to find a Boxford over there.? I'd suggest you look out for an Ex-school or collage lathe has they tend to be cheap and suitable for new users has they are designed with learners in mind. They also have loads of tooling with them.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    For a cut-off tool, get an insert type. Either greentool, or I'm now using the APT multidirection parting/grooving tool with good results and it's pretty cheap.
    Now aint that strange because I prefer HSS for cut off because I can grind edge back, never liked the tipped cutoff tools. All my other tooling is tipped thou and I love it.

To be honest like Jonathan says it's probably better for first time user and the other thing is that carbide Tipped tooling prefers to be run hard and smaller lathes can't run at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by bikepete View Post

If you've no space not an option perhaps but worth considering

I have bags of space, just built myself a huge workshop just deep pockets and short arms. I will keep looking for bigger used machines.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information