. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    Good videos too thanks Jonathon. just watched a bit of one
    Hmpf

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    I am still getting used to my CNC/router. But I would love a lathe soon.
    What about a small CNC lathe.? If you only need small parts then they are great and not too far removed from using CNC router.
    You can pickup Old school CNC lathes cheap and convert to Mach3, I've got 2 here that came from schools and just need drives/BOB it'sjust the same has CNC router just 1 axis less and speed control for spindle. . . If you can build CNC router you can convert a Ex-school lathe.

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Hmpf

Hahaha sorry irving, wasnt paying too much attention !!
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    If I could do it for 500 quid, I would be interested Jazz. Or maybe a longer project.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    justremovingsomeusefulposts
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Completely agree Pete but Dudz's in France so he may struggle to find a Boxford over there.? I'd suggest you look out for an Ex-school or collage lathe has they tend to be cheap and suitable for new users has they are designed with learners in mind. They also have loads of tooling with them.
    You should be able to pick yourself up a reasonable ex workshop lathe for a good price. Check out Leboncoin.fr, make sure you have screw cutting ability and make sure it comes with all the appropriate change wheels etc. I have a Vernier TV 280 (pain in PITA spindle) which is a very good machine. Make sure you have a typical nose fitting as well so that you get chuck back plates etc easily not like me.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    You should be able to pick yourself up a reasonable ex workshop lathe for a good price. Check out Leboncoin.fr, make sure you have screw cutting ability and make sure it comes with all the appropriate change wheels etc. I have a Vernier TV 280 (pain in PITA spindle) which is a very good machine. Make sure you have a typical nose fitting as well so that you get chuck back plates etc easily not like me.
    Yep, I look on Leboncoin every day. But they seems to sell their used lathes for 100 euros per kilo ! . I will keep looking though thx

Check out models made by FAM that are popular over your side of the waters as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Swarfing For This Useful Post:

That would be fantastic but has the same crappy spindle nose fitment as mine which is an A1-4 (direct nose). Chucks are impossible to find at a reasonable cost. But if you can get it for the right price then you could factor that in. Good things about it is the middle bit is a scrap bin with a coolant pump under neath. You would need two VFD's to run it and that would cost you another £150ish to add. Ask him what the lowest he would take for it and mention the problem of obtaining chucks and upgrading it to run on a single supply?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information