. .
    This is my first post for my conversion of a late model Boxford TUD lathe I bought from the Bay over 2 years ago .. I bought this model lathe has I didn't require power feeds or gearbox for my conversion ..
    When I first bought the Tud mach3 was primarily parallel port , which I could see being outdated soon so was opting for usb connection over parallel.

USB boards were rare running Mach 2 years ago , I now have a AKZ 3 axis usb board which after dry setting up with NPN proximity sensors , speed sensor ,stepper drivers etc seems great , I have even deliberately ran the board at the side of my plasma cutter to see if it miss steps badly but none noticed ( returned pointer to original dead vertical after several movements back and forth to zero) .. Good for a plasma table then ???...

Heres the spec..

USB mach motion board 3 axis
    x Axis Nema 23 stepper ball screw C5
    z Axis Nema 34 stepper ballscrew C5 double nut
    6/8 position tool turret ( see dumpstercnc - YouTube ) great ideas...
    1 1/2 hp 3 phase vfd with board connection and control via Mach
    full coolant control ( high/low pressure)
    Remote panel with touch screen dual MPG encoder start stop pause fro etc

THE LATHE

I bought the lathe local ish , Glossop way from a coal merchant who used it for king pin bushes , It had previously been modified to run a Z Axis leadscrew with gear drive.. changed to 240 badly but was absolutely brilliant on all the ways ;solid no wear , even the standard X axis leadscrew had only a little backlash.
    The lathe came with a load of bits and bobs , 2 really nice chucks way to big for the lathe great condition. At 8 and 10 inch they were a little big sold via the bay along with 2 nice 5 and 6 " pratts
    the lathe has a 5 inch height being the later type not the old 41/2 ..
    The headstock is well built running 17 roller bearings ( full spec here Boxford Lathes)

Yesterday I removed some of the pieces I will not be needing ...Zaxis leadscrew ,apron plates ,changewheels ,chuck guard ,toolpost these will be sold later to further fund this project ..
    I will add photos of the lathe in the next post along with some advice on setting up the board and motors..

2. Hi did you ever move forward with this build

Thread Information