. .
    Ok, every time I turn around it seems like I gotta buy summut else to get this lot 3 M542H CNC Stepper Driver FOR NEMA17 NEMA23 NEMA34 Motor 5 Axis Breakout Board | eBay working, I'm not an electrician so I got no bloody idea. I also bought something similar to this PSU just to save some grief LED Lights Devices Switching Power Supply 24V10A AC DC PSU 240W 110 220 230V | eBay (can't find the original purchase and too pissed off to bother).

When I bought the el cheapo 3040 off eBay I heard the electrics were naff but apart from the spindle controller board croaking to which the seller duly sent a replacement without question ( seller amonstar) I've had no problems. But seeing as the electrics are reportedly shite on these Chinese machines I thought I'd go the M542/bob road just to save meself all the grief later on down the track

Right so now the question(s).

The spindle, if you look at the ebay ad it shows (to me any way) what looks like a spindle going in to the bob. Contacted seller, they had no idea what the hell a spindle was so with that said, I'm at a total loss as to where to put it as, on the YooCNC controller setup it's got a spindle controller/main power board which is connected to the YooCNC board proper.

1) If the spindle doesn't go to the bob does that mean I have to run 2 PSU's, one for the steppers and one for the spindle?

2) Who do I have to kill to get this ******in' thing workin'
    Last edited by Carlb1058; 30-07-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Cheers
    Carl

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Cardiff City Supporter ~ Real Sporting de Gijon Supporter ~ Vintage Synthesizer Collector
    La gente dice que tu vida esta planeado, me gustarķa encontrarse con el jefe de planificacion para que yo pudiera darle un punetazo en la cara!

Yes your certainly do need a separate PSU for the spindle and steppers / breakout board. The breakout board looks like it has a relay on there so the idea is to run the power for the spindle through the breakout board, but it is just acting as a switch so the PC can turn the spindle on and off. I don't bother myself.

If you are not familiar with electronics then be very careful when playing with PSUs as mains voltage can kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Yes your certainly do need a separate PSU for the spindle and steppers / breakout board. The breakout board looks like it has a relay on there so the idea is to run the power for the spindle through the breakout board, but it is just acting as a switch so the PC can turn the spindle on and off. I don't bother myself.

If you are not familiar with electronics then be very careful when playing with PSUs as mains voltage can kill.
    Well that just sucks grrrrrrrrr more money, 'er indoors is gunna neck me. I bought the PSU so I didn't have to hack at the flakey YooCNC controller, looks like I'll be buying another one (PSU) and handing the lot to my son-in-law's cousin who fits alarms/security systems for a living for final wiring then dick around with getting it all to work with Mach.
    IMO sellers need to mention these sorts of things in their listings, you can then buy all you need at once. Actually I'm pissed off enough now to email them and stick it up 'em sideways!!

Thanks for the info - if you happen to come across a decent wiring diagram I'd appreciate it, I'm pretty sure I've got the bob/steppers right but would like to double check.
    Cheers
    Carl

Cardiff City Supporter ~ Real Sporting de Gijon Supporter ~ Vintage Synthesizer Collector
    La gente dice que tu vida esta planeado, me gustarķa encontrarse con el jefe de planificacion para que yo pudiera darle un punetazo en la cara!

do you need a power supply for the spindle? what voltage is it? It is quite possible that it isn't 24v, sorry I know absolutely nothing about these chinese machines.

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    do you need a power supply for the spindle? what voltage is it? It is quite possible that it isn't 24v, sorry I know absolutely nothing about these chinese machines.
    I did send the seller an email a while back asking if I needed a PSU or how to wire the spindle up to that M542/bob setup and their response was 'sorry we don't know of spindles'. That's the only problem with buying off eBay, 90% of the sellers are just resellers with no idea and when you put them and people like me who are totally new to all this it gets to be a major headache!!

Just on the spindle proper, if memory serves, it's connected to the spindle/power control board and the only power in says 36v and 18v with a 24v connection out to the YooCNC - stuffed if I know to be honest.
    Cheers
    Carl

If your still going to be using the yoocnc spindle control board , dont think it has a seperate supply , will check on mine, wouldn`t wire it through an external relay, not very robust drive ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlb1058 View Post
    Just on the spindle proper, if memory serves, it's connected to the spindle/power control board and the only power in says 36v and 18v with a 24v connection out to the YooCNC - stuffed if I know to be honest.
    Ok I'll take an educated guess and say the 36V is for the spindle controller. So really answer to your problem is simple.? Replace the 24V PSU with 36V PSU and run them all from the same PSU.!!
    Really you dropped a bollock buying the 24V supply anyway because the drives can handle upto 50Vdc and the motors will handle more than 24V, they will easily take 36v. The higher voltage will give more speed and torque so your Win win.

If the spindle board has run or start/stop signal pin then run this thru the Relay on the BOB and back to the board like Tenson says.
    The BOB relay output is controlled thru M commands in the Gcode so it turns spindle on/off. If not then has last resort you could run the Spindle board power thru relay but if like MushT says it's flaky then it's risk you take.! . . . This is what the picture on advert going to spindle is badly depicting.!!

The spindle board will most likely have 0-10v connections which use the Step/dir pins to control speed/direction which you then take from spare output like A axis.

If its the original Yoocnc driver board for the 200W spindle on the 3040, it takes 220AC as marked on the board, it has a transformer mounted on board , think spindle, stripped down internals of s/h servo, is actually 90V.

If its something different , post a picture..

Thread Information