. .
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Awesome thread, thanks, and thanks again.

Regarding the epoxy self leveling mounts for the linear rail, I would be very interested to learn about how the epoxy mounts stood up over time in respect to hardness?

I am a bit worried that it may not be hard enough to put up with the loads over an extended time (in a production shop router), as the bearing area under the linear rails is not huge. So my question is really hoping that you can tell me that it is all still good after the machine has been in service for a good while?

I am thinking about this in terms of (on my own coming build) whether to add additives to the epoxy to increase hardness, or alternatively, I may just use the epoxy for producing a level datum surface but then install a machined flat (i.e. 100mm x 10mm milled m/steel) on top of the hardened epoxy. I should mention that my build is planned as a production shop router at 2.5m x 2.5m bed, 30mm rails, 5kw spindle, gantry assembly approx 120kg.

Any feedback on the epoxy hardness issue would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Jono

Quote Originally Posted by jono5axe View Post
    Awesome thread, thanks, and thanks again.

Regarding the epoxy self leveling mounts for the linear rail, I would be very interested to learn about how the epoxy mounts stood up over time in respect to hardness?

I am a bit worried that it may not be hard enough to put up with the loads over an extended time (in a production shop router), as the bearing area under the linear rails is not huge. So my question is really hoping that you can tell me that it is all still good after the machine has been in service for a good while?

I am thinking about this in terms of (on my own coming build) whether to add additives to the epoxy to increase hardness, or alternatively, I may just use the epoxy for producing a level datum surface but then install a machined flat (i.e. 100mm x 10mm milled m/steel) on top of the hardened epoxy. I should mention that my build is planned as a production shop router at 2.5m x 2.5m bed, 30mm rails, 5kw spindle, gantry assembly approx 120kg.

Any feedback on the epoxy hardness issue would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Jono
    No problem at all with the epoxy for the moment. Its hard enough. Similar machine but 2600x1300/ look my signature/ is working nicely in my garage at 50C in the summer.

But if you are to do ~1meter machine, better use aluminum bolted to the frame and pay a machine shop to surface it. you will avoid experiments and mess.

If i was to do it again i would have ordered cast aluminum plate say 20mm thick to 40mm wide from my aluminum supplier/ they cut to any size/ . Then using a straight edge and epoxy putty i would have fitted and shimmed it there. Then drill and bolt it to frame. Then fit Hiwin on top.

hence the straight edge is most important instrument for precise build.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

HI Boyan.
    is it possible to use this machine for milling and engraving stone? is it have enough stiffness?
    Thank's

Quote Originally Posted by ImanGH View Post
    HI Boyan.
    is it possible to use this machine for milling and engraving stone? is it have enough stiffness?
    Thank's
    Yes. I received that question also on youtube. if i can mill in steel 1mm deep with Z fully extended, i dont see a reason not to be used for stone engraving. In fact i was just to purchase a couple of diamond bits so i try and see how well that goes.

I will make a video about that. Meanwhile enjoy how it cuts aluminum like cheese with mirror like finish. Still dont have more videos as i am busy but will make more

Excuse me Boyan. I have doubt about this subject.
    i see the hardness of some stone and metal in https://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/am...ed/t8_4_2.html
    for example the hardness of Al is 25 Vickers hardness and the hardness of granite is 850 Vickers hardness. now we see that the hardness of some stone much more than Al and Fe.
    now if we milling and engraving stone, then the force in chassis is much more rather than milling Al. what's your opinion about this subject?
    thank's

Quote Originally Posted by ImanGH View Post
    Excuse me Boyan. I have doubt about this subject.
    i see the hardness of some stone and metal in https://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/am...ed/t8_4_2.html
    for example the hardness of Al is 25 Vickers hardness and the hardness of granite is 850 Vickers hardness. now we see that the hardness of some stone much more than Al and Fe.
    now if we milling and engraving stone, then the force in chassis is much more rather than milling Al. what's your opinion about this subject?
    thank's
    Dont get stuck too much into literature. real life is different.

Real world examples:

On this video you will see this machine https://www.cnc-step.de/fraesmaschinen/ engraving stone. And my machine is on another different level of speed, strength and precision from the machine that is demonstrating this.

Another video plus more info on bits . Again as you see the machine is not something special.

I already bought 3 diamond bits yesterday, from the expensive ones, PCD 70 degree with 0.4 point or something. So very soon will be able to demonstrate you.

About the hardness. The diamond is actually chipping the material, cutting it. Its not like pushing it. And you know diamond is much harder than granite.

Even on a flimsy machine you can engrave using spring loaded tool like this .

But to hard engrave and V cut granite obviously your machine design has to be rigid of course. My machine was designed to accept an oscillating air hammer head, a little stone cutting will not be a problem.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread Information