. .
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    The key there is to leave possibility for alignment.

I mounted the plates so all bolts touched the holes from one side, and as they were laser drilled they were more or less straight. But later i drilled the holes 1-1.5mm wider. So at the moment of mounting i had not only the margin of the hole itself , but of the widened hole. So its easy to adjust cause there is space that allows it.

The other key is to have 2 precision squares and 1 straight edge. So at all times you can check and assure perfect fit. You can not measure how perfect, but if you insist and try that no visible gap is left at any place, you will finish with very precise machine. And not be lazy, cause you need sometimes to check a simple thing 10 times untill you are definitely sure its straight.

And when i say check, i mean check with strong led torch
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 08-02-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Silyavski, do you think 10mm steel is minimum for Z axis?
    I hink that I will at least try to build my Z axis from steel. If I dont succeed that I will go for aluminium :)

Steel is cheaper, faster and easier if you don't have a mill or other cnc. 10mm steel and that having in mind the way i did it, where the rails and the rectangular bars that the rails lay on, play the role of ribs that strengthen all. You will be surprised how flexible is 10mm of steel if not strengthened by bracing plates that provide strength in contrary direction.

I managed to mill with that Z/180mm fully extended/an aluminum plate- 1.5mm deep pass, and lack of cooling and proper bed fixture was the problem to go deeper per pass.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Hi dear friends, do u thing its good ide to use ballscrews RM2505-L=2600mm on both sides of my y-axis. Could it be too long and cause vibrations ? Or should i use R and G instead?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by masinecc View Post
    Hi dear friends, do u thing its good ide to use ballscrews RM2505-L=2600mm on both sides of my y-axis. Could it be too long and cause vibrations ? Or should i use R and G instead?
    Welcome to the forum. It would be better if you started a new thread with this.

You could use rotating ball nuts so that the screws remained static. ..Clive

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thanks for ur reply, would u like to post a picture from that rotating ball nut? Just to see how does it look like. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by masinecc View Post
    Thanks for ur reply, would u like to post a picture from that rotating ball nut? Just to see how does it look like. Thanks !
    If you do a search on the forum you'll see that Jonathan uses them and so does Silyavski, they have pictures in their threads...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Great thread! plenty of useful information!
    Cheers
    Clayt

Quote Originally Posted by Skipsoaring View Post
    Great thread! plenty of useful information!
    Cheers
    Clayt
    Great thread indeed!
    I was wondering if there is a way to print this thread in its entirety? It is so long to read on the PC that I would like to print and highlight key info. Or maybe it can be saved as a file and imported into MS Word? Or maybe one of you has distilled it down to the basics already? I am open to ideas on this.

Randy

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Just looking at this quickly - go to the top of this page - you'll see 'Thread Tools' which has a 'Printable' option that you can select. From the printable version you can print to a .pdf. You'll still need to do this for every page, though...

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information