. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    That cap you have linked to looks like 63V rating to me used with the transformer that you linked to would that not be a bit low? ... Clive

Sorry, I accidentally linked to the wrong transformer. This is the correct one:

Toroidal Transformer 500va 0 35v 0 35v

It's 35V, so 35*2^0.5-1.1=48.4V approximately, which is fine.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The mains things are;

Capacitors:
    SNAPIN:4700UF/63V Panasonic (ECES1JU472N) 25.5 X 50 | eBay

Transformer (other places have them too):
    Toroidal Transformer 500va 0 50v 0 50v

Rectifier (excessive rating, but means you don't need a heatsink so it's easy):
    KBPC5006 Bridge Rectifier 50A 600V

Plus you'll probably want a fuse holder and a switch...
    Why post this and only give some of the information required.!!. . . This is exactly why I won't do this on a thread it's dangerous and you of all people should know better.!!

You linked to Caps but didn't say how much capacitance is required or even mentioned the fact more than one cap can be wired in parallel to reach desired capacitance.

You haven't mentioned resistor for draining the caps.

Your lack of full information is dangerous and your playing with other peoples lives and expensive hardware.. . Give it all or shut up.!!

The rest of the information is mentioned in plenty of other threads by myself and others. It's not hard to find and I thought saying the 'main things' along with the ellipsis at the end of my post makes it clear that I'm giving a brief overview.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 26-08-2013 at 08:50 PM.

It's not hard to find and I thought saying the 'main things' along with the ellipsis at the end of my post makes it clear that I'm giving a brief overview.
    That's the problem you can't do "brief overview" when it comes to this stuff.!! . . . .You have gone into enough detail with specs to lead the enthusiastic silent watchers to have a go at building but not enough to be stable or safe IMO. . . . Better to PM with all the details and how to build it correctly or keep quite.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Better to PM with all the details and how to build it correctly or keep quite.!
    Why PM, why not post it all here for everyone to see? That way next time someone asks the question it's easy...it's practically the whole point of the forum to openly share the information, not hide behind PMs.

Why PM, why not post it all here for everyone to see? That way next time someone asks the question it's easy...it's practically the whole point of the forum to openly share the information, not hide behind PMs.
    Your the MOD and resident electrical genius so Get on with it then.!! . . . . Just make sure you make it Very very clear so the electrically challenged new comers can fully understand how to accurately calculate what's needed and how to wire together.

I'm not doing it and will stick with the personal touch so I now the person I'm helping fully understands what they are doing.!

8. Guys, lets not start WW3, ok.

You both have valid points and all the info is out there including the thread I linked to. BUT none of this in the right form for a newbie to electronics at this level. What we need is a properly structured tutorial to help answer the question 'how do I build a linear PSU for x volts' with a 'best practice' design, a schematic and assembly guidelines along with photos of good - and, maybe, bad - examples.

I'm willing to have a stab at the words and there's a good working schematic that I drew in the thread I linked to.

What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Your the MOD and resident electrical genius so Get on with it then.!!
    I think the point we're making here is that you don't need to be an electrical genius to do this, you just need clear instructions. Therefore we need someone who can explain things clearly, but you have made it apparent that that's not me, so I'll just contribute with this circuit diagram:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linear_PSU_circuit.PNG 
Views:	322 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	9780

Two versions depending on whether the transformer secondaries need to be placed in series or parallel to obtain the correct voltage. Two capacitors pictured, but more/less may be needed in some cases. I put in the NTC thermistor for soft start, which is optional for most size transformers in this application. I see no reason to put a fuse on the output since all the drivers I've dismantled (PM752, PM542, DQ860MA, AM882, 2M880N) include their own individual fuses, however it may be sensible to include one in case somebody decides to use the power supply in a different application.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    I'm willing to have a stab at the words and there's a good working schematic that I drew in the thread I linked to.

What say you?
    I'm ok with it. . . . All I'll suggest is that you keep the information has simple has possibly and keep technical jargon and complicated formulas to a minimum. They are not really needed in this case anyway.!!

Remember the target audience is new comers and they don't want rocket science maths just plane simple information, more than this and it complicates things and puts them off which really shouldn't need be the case for building such a simple thing.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 26-08-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information