. .
    Hi folks

I think I have reached the point where I need a proper cnc lathe, I have been using boxfords for production runs.
    Need something faster with auto bar feed and will keep accuracy all day. The parts I turn are small, no more than 25mm in dia and 100 mm long. I have only single phase ,so it would need to run on a single to three phase converter.
    Gang or turret tooling.
    Any idea where to get such a machine or recommendations on a machine.
    Thanks

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You'll be lucky!

I've searched for something similar, and have yet to find anything.
    The biggest problem is even the smaller commonly available stuff, still use spindle servos in the double figure HP range, meaning they just won't run of a converter unless you happen to have a very high capacity single phase supply. The main reason for the high HP spindles, is to still maintain torque at low speeds for live tooling options, without adding the complications of gears.

I'd love something with a 2-3hp servo 2-speed spindle and linear slides, but there just isn't anything available, or if it does, I've just not found it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, yeah cant find anything myself. If live tooling was taken out of the mix, is there anything out there.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Not that I've found, certainly not from any of the established companies.

Mazak smallest Quick Turn has a 5.5Kw/7.5hp spindle with 32mm through spindle.
    Haas OL-1 is still 5.5Kw, but with only a 25mm through.

One option may be this - Small CNC Lathe with 8 position "Automatic Tool Changer" - YouTube
    But I don't know what Fadec's plans are with actually finalising and selling them.

The other option is Tormach's new lathe, which the first batch are pretty much finished, but it's still a slideway/dovetail design. It seems the smaller end of the market just point blank refuses to embrace linear slides :-/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

The haas is single phase though isn't it. Probably very costly though. Away to check that link you posted

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	709.7 KB 
ID:	9802
    This is what I am using at the moment, need something more capable

List price on the OL-1 starts from $45k, so I'd guess that'll probably translate to £35-40k over here, but I'm not sure how production capable it would be. Something like a TL-1 would be better (and cheaper!) for production work, but they're 3phase.

Another issue with getting single phase machines, is pretty much all commercial tool changers/coolant systems/chucking systems are only available in three phase.
    Running a single to three phase rotary converter is an option, but I'm not sure if the phases would be balanced enough to run something CNC, or if they'd cause problems.

Thread Information