. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mart154 View Post
    Yep those are profiled rails.
    If you can find 20mm for not much more then go with those has the slightly larger height and bearing size makes things a bit easier.
    Thou 15mm will be fine but you'll need to put raiser blocks between back plate and bearing to give clearance between front and rear plate for ballnut. 20mm mean you just machine a shallow channel in plates for clearance.

2. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    What far more important is the bearing spacing on the Y axis and the more(within reason) you have the better it will be, obviously this comes at the cost of cutting width so it's a balancing act and personally I won't go any less than 200mm with 300mm being better.
    Dean - could you confirm this for me.
    If Y supported rails are mounted to the top/bottom of the gantry - do you mean the height of the gantry itself ie, the distance between the rail mounting surfaces?
    I think my design is at 175mm currently so may need to extend it.

Mart....try these people NSK LS20 Linear bearings & rails L400mm cnc thk router | eBay. Both Wobblycogs and I have had rails off them and they came quickly and seem genuine good quality although they are used. I also got some rails from YASKAWA, MITSUBISHI items in PK-USEDPARTS store on eBay! these people, ordered Thursday received Monday.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyGeek View Post
    Dean - could you confirm this for me.
    Yep no problem but I like pretty pictures to save my fingers typing so that should show better what mean when say spacing between bearings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cfafty.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	10170

I think Dean means the spacing of the Y rail mounting bearing mounting blocks horizontal should be spaced wider ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I think Dean means the spacing of the Y rail mounting bearing mounting blocks horizontal should be spaced wider ..Clive
    Yep I think he does has well. .

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yep those are profiled rails.
    If you can find 20mm for not much more then go with those has the slightly larger height and bearing size makes things a bit easier.
    Thou 15mm will be fine but you'll need to put raiser blocks between back plate and bearing to give clearance between front and rear plate for ballnut. 20mm mean you just machine a shallow channel in plates for clearance.
    Here is a "right " place to buy everything. The guy is called Fred , here is his email. Very helpfull and good price. I bought last week from him rails and ball screws and am waiting for them. Apart from the ball screws being the cheapest around./when making big order/ he can provide you with 3 types of supported rails and carriages:
    1.LG /chinese/ cheapest, the minus is that they don't have long bearings like Hiwin
    2.TBI , same like Hiwin, more expensive than Chinese, have long cariages, no dedicated double lip dust seals
    3.Hiwin/more expensive than the before mentioned, from EU can be bought the dust seals/

I bought all ballscrews+Hiwing long carriages and rails + shipping+ customs???, a bit cheaper than the Hiwin would cost me here in EU.

Still waiting for the rails, but some guys here bought before from him.

After his detailed offer about your specific need, you will have much clearer view about everything. If cheap is what you search, i believe going with the chinese square rails is better idea than going with round supported rails

I have cut a bunch of steel meanwhile. And started laying out the bed frame yesterday evening.

In other news, I have to find a new job soon, so it might put everything on hold for a little while.
    And if anyone has any leads on a mechanic / fitter / fabricator line of job, I might be interested :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information