. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So I finished my MK1 machine last year, with help from I2I, Jazzcnc and 20ep0z (if that's right!)

DSC_0070 by jessebaker, on Flickr

and I feel it's time to go bigger and better.
    4 times bigger!

I've already got all my ball screws and bearings:

20130812_122840 by jessebaker, on Flickr

With thanks to fred from BST Automation on Aliexpress.

those are 5mm pitched screws on the X and Y. I know some people on here will say that I should of gone for 10mm pitch but the speed of the machine doesn't bother me in the slightest and I can always gear it faster.

So it's payday tomorrow so I'll be buying some aluminium in hopes to make this:

v2 by jessebaker, on Flickr

the Y rails sit on 6" x 1" alu bar and will have some square section bolted onto it to hold the rails and reinforce the gantry.

v23 by jessebaker, on Flickr

the X rails will sit on 3"x2" box section alu or more likely steel.

as well as having a CNC to help make this, I'm going to be buying a height gauge and a surface plate to help make it accurate. I remeber seeing 20ep0z use one to help me finish my gantry so I think it's a worthwhile investment. though I'll have to get a granite one.

what do you think chaps?

You might get a granite plate at Tilgear for reasonable money.
    Your design makes for a very rigid gantry and it highlights something I've been thinking about. Say you wanted a height under the gantry of 200mm then with your design you would raise the Y assembly from the bed by about 200mm but then how do you make the 200mm risers stiff ? probably by using a welded steel frame ?

Edit: I should have checked out more of the build logs first, there's quite a few along the same principle
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 29-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

after looking at designs that have been posted on here rather recently, I think I'm going to place the supported rail next the ball screw on the X axis.

this will allow me to align is easier and level it using the epoxy method, it will allow me to keep things very flat very easily.

I can then bolt that assembly to a steel frame and have it nice and strong.

So slight update,

I've ordered nearly all the alu parts at Metal goods Bridgend.

and will be picking it up Wednesday.

today I took delivery of these, as well as some lathe tools

so my hopes is to get it nearly all built this month and then plop it onto an steel frame and get all the electronics next month.

exciting times!

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Jesse I could have lent you a surface plate. Are you ok for transport Wednesday.

Hey I2I, I did presume you had one and i did think about messaging you, but it's always nice to own things :)

I'm fine for transport on Wednesday, thanks, my dad and I are going to pick up the aluminium and then go watch Elysium.
    though I'll probably have my mind on scribing, drilling and tapping instead of enjoying the film.

hopefully my current machine will be up to the challenge of making the more specialized bits.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    sounds good, i'm interested in a demo of the quadcopter when it's sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    So I finished my MK1 machine last year, with help from I2I, Jazzcnc and 20ep0z (if that's right!)

DSC_0070 by

jessebaker, on Flickr
    Jesse, I have just had a browse through your many interesting and informative pics on FLICKR and have found them great for helping my novice thoughts, so many thanks for that.

Good luck with the new build.

Andy
    Last edited by WandrinAndy; 03-09-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks andy, I don't normally share my projects as most of the time I know what I'm doing and maintaining a thread is hard work.
    I want to keep the thread informative but not too boasty or have it read like a user manual.

But flickr makes It painless enough.

But there are a few skills and techniques I did not know anything about at all when I started building my last machine like using a flat and a height gauge. It wasn't until I saw swarfing use one did I realise what a good skill/bit of kit it is. So I'll have to make a post and photograph that for me from the past and others.

Just picked up my alloy and damn it's heavy! :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378303388330.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	9968  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information