. .
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Robin,

Been watching this with interest as I want to do the same to mine going forward, although not sure my engineering skills are up to the challenge yet.

I am still struggling to understand how the Z-mechanism will work. Does the 'honking plate' clamp to the quill flange under the head and, if so, where does the remainder bolt to on the head itself. What is the advantage of that over motorising the quill handle itself?

On the X-axis, I can understand why the motorised element sticks out so far to allow more X travel, but again, how is that better than driving the handwheel end? And could it be done without it sticking out so far as this would give me space problems?

I know Kip has done something similar.

I've yet to strip it down and draw it all up to work out how to do it, but just starting to do some planning for later on this year.

Hi Irving

Let's not forget that trying to screw this kind of accuracy out of a Warco mill/drill puts us deep in to the realm of silk purse and sow's ear. Silly has already been left way behind

Motorizing the Z axis handle would be much more in keeping with the machine, but you would never push the boundaries that way.

Would you like to have the z-axis I'm ripping out? It's much the same as the one that's going in but a lot less beefy and made without the benefit of cnc.

One more set of pics and the operation should become clear.

Robin

3. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Hi Irving

Let's not forget that trying to screw this kind of accuracy out of a Warco mill/drill puts us deep in to the realm of silk purse and sow's ear. Silly has already been left way behind

Motorizing the Z axis handle would be much more in keeping with the machine, but you would never push the boundaries that way.

Would you like to have the z-axis I'm ripping out? It's much the same as the one that's going in but a lot less beefy and made without the benefit of cnc.

One more set of pics and the operation should become clear.

Robin
    Robin,

I'd be happy to get a reasonable degree of accuracy, not interested at pusing the boundaries at first. Cost is still an issue, but if i am going to invest a few £100 in ballscrews etc. I need to be comfortable I know what I am doing and I have a reasonable chance of success.

I may well be interested in your old Z-axis... its still likely to be an order of magnitude better than anything I can produce (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Robin have you given much thought to the "hammering out ceremony" once the ballsrew is attached?
    I'm doing it the same way I did last time, the screw housing bolts to the honking plate. Only difference is I'm using 2 screws this time instead of one. I think it needs a bit extra to lock the screw parallel to the quill.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    I may well be interested in your old Z-axis... its still likely to be an order of magnitude better than anything I can produce (yet).
    Not exactly pretty but you can have the X and Y screws if it helps They are cluttering up the workshop, probably going in the bin next time I tidy the shelves. If I find a box I could send the whole she-bang standard parcels.

I bought zero backlash nuts from Marchant Dice for the X and Y, odd things that you had to crush sideways to set. I never got the backlash below 3 thou. Also I didn't get the ends machined, just glued on extension sleeves with Loctite. With the benefit of hindsight, a false economy.

The Z axis was a disappointment, nice screw off ebay but I didn't eliminate flex and it always fell slightly short of the mark. I'm hoping the honking plate will fix that.

Robin

5. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I'm doing it the same way I did last time, the screw housing bolts to the honking plate. Only difference is I'm using 2 screws this time instead of one. I think it needs a bit extra to lock the screw parallel to the quill.

Not exactly pretty but you can have the X and Y screws if it helps They are cluttering up the workshop, probably going in the bin next time I tidy the shelves. If I find a box I could send the whole she-bang standard parcels.

I bought zero backlash nuts from Marchant Dice for the X and Y, odd things that you had to crush sideways to set. I never got the backlash below 3 thou. Also I didn't get the ends machined, just glued on extension sleeves with Loctite. With the benefit of hindsight, a false economy.

The Z axis was a disappointment, nice screw off ebay but I didn't eliminate flex and it always fell slightly short of the mark. I'm hoping the honking plate will fix that.

Robin
    Robin,
    That sounds very generous of you, if it would get me up to speed quicker and allow me to create updated parts later then that would be great. How likely are your Major parts to fit the Minor ?

Pic 1: Cheeks put in with a couple of bolts. Needed a bit of extra removing from the left cheek because the casting was far from straight. Heavy application of the angle grinder at the bottom before the ball screw bearing plate would slide home, had to cut out an extra 7.5mm

Pic 2: Ball screw fitted, view from the side. This is as close as you can get the ballscrew to the quill. Hence requirement for honking plate.

Pic 3: Pile of bits removed, Irvings' if he wants 'em

Should have taken a front view with the ballscrew installed. Maybe next time.

Next I have to relieve the cheeks a tadge so I can fit the motor plate, bit of a poor measurement there.

Then make a false honking plate, cut the pulleys and wire it up so so I can make a real honking plate

Robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm.jpg 
Views:	887 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mn.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mo.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	539  

7. Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Honking plate is the word indeed....I'm going to aim at 63mm thick for my honking plate.

You had 3 thou backlash with the Isel ballnuts? Did you use oil or grease?

Snatch his arm off Irving :D
    I'm snatching... Robin, I want please... I'll even come and collect if you want me to... (although may be a while before I can as I have broken the rear suspension on the car)

Honking plate is the word indeed....I'm going to aim at 63mm thick for my honking plate.
    Uh? :naughty:

If your thickness goes beyond the height of the lump you are clenching it on to, surely it will be in the way, one way or t'other.

I'd better go try and find an Irving box.

Robin

Does your quill twist....peg in slot or other type of guide?
    Peg in slot, slack enough to convince me that I can't hang a spindle motor off the side.

Only got an hour on it last night, wife dragged me down the pub, forced me to drink beer then drove me home. I was in no condition to continue.

I did cut the extra relief in the cheeks so the motor plate can slide home then bored and faced a 40t XL pulley to fit the ball screw shaft.

Took the camera but forgot to put the memory card in it so no pic.

Robin

Me again

Put the pulleys on, belt was too short.

Checked all the measurements, I don't usually get a belt wrong.

Eventually found I'd mounted a 44t pulley where a 40t was required

RS seem to be taking orders at 7pm for next day. Wonder if I'll have it tomorrow. Perhaps it will it be a 44t pulley in a 40t bag, don't remember buying a 44t, fairly sure it said 40t on the bag :naughty:

Robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mp.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	540  

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information