Thread: Warco Major CNC build log
I do like making things difficult for myself, but when it comes to the firmware I become a control freak. If it doesn't do what I want it to do then I want to reprogram it down the USB rather than fudge it. Nothing quite so reassuring as having all the source code :whistling:
Stepper drivers, phase controller and pendant connect with RJ45 patch cords to keep everything neat and tidy, lots of buttons and well buffered I/O for everything I could think of.
The limit switch and tool touch inputs are designed so I can short them to ground via an LED and get a visual check at the far end of the wire. Three FET's to drive the suds pump, quill lock and something I haven't thought of yet. A socket for one of Gary's jog encoder do-berries, a main motor kill switch to keep me safe while setting up, fuses on board and an input to tell me if 12V goes away. If the 5 volt fuse goes then it's goodnight Vienna so no way to monitor that.
There's my Christmas entertainment arrived in the nick of time, not bad for 35 Euro's
I've only found one blooper so far, a 6 pin opto isolator with the wrong pinout. Luckily RS had a 4 pin part that fixed it
Think I'll put everything down before I mount the processor, that way I can check it's connections, make sure I'm not overloading it anywhere.
The three little boards on the right convert Kinco stepper drivers to RJ45 with all the wiring neatly out of sight, should look great if I got the measurements right :whistling:
I hadn't thought of using RJ45s for signals - neat idea, and shielding already built in... What current and voltage are they good up to?
I was planning to use Dsub connectors, but that would look a bit 1980s... RJ45's are much more "naugties"! I suppose the only tricky bit (if you're panel mounting rather than PCB mounting) is the crimping....
Anyway, good idea.... Food for thought... :)
Last edited by Tom; 23-12-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Formatting
I hope the rj45 are not being used for current carrying as they are not propper connections just insulation displacement connection for signal etc.
Even the punch down connectors are not that good for current much better to get solder or screw types.
With this board I do feed 5 volts out on an RJ45 to drive the pendant. A bunch of pull ups and a GAL22V10. It was either a logic array or only 7 buttons. I want a lot of buttons.
One component is worth a mention, a lucky find, RS part number 249-050
The board was getting cluttered with clamp diodes, the DALC208 has 8 low capacitance diodes in a dinky 6 pin smt pack. You feed it power, ground and 4 inputs that may need clamping. A real space saver, I used 6 of them
Possible but I have spent hours trying to find the one that wasn't done proper, even had trouble with the puch down ones.
There again in the past I have known screw down terminals to cut through the wire.
Best ones I remember were the old round plessy ones as long as you had all the tools they were easy!
Everything tested okay barring a couple of missing components so I fitted the cpu.
I couldn't find a 180R resistor to drive the opto isolator, one resistor pack and RS came up no stock on the USB socket, had to fudge a right angle component in to a vertical. :whistling:
Nothing there that will stop it stepping so I can get on with the firmware.
It protrudes through a cut out in the mill stand door, so on the back it has 5 push buttons, a speed control pot and a socket for the pendant. Everything else comes out the front inside the plinth.
The switches will be three press on/press off for main motor, suds and quill lock, a pause button and and an 'everyone off'.
A quick progress report..
Slight mis-wiring on the USB and I didn't notice I needed a 1 Meg resistor across the crystal before it would spark up.
Whatever, the computer now makes the dee-dum USB noise when I plug/unplug the controller and a test program can read inputs and write outputs under XP.
Probably doesn't sound like much but from here on it's only typing. Fortunately I've got my big brother doing that bit for me :naughty:
I cut some metal and it came out a bit naff, see before and after pic, arrow points to the problem bit.
Two changes, I wrote my own dxf to G-code software taking control of the tool path. Bubba, over on CNC zone, told me the Warco column pinch bolts were naff.
I've been measuring the new part and dimensionally it is slightly undersize, somewhere between -0.00 and -0.05mm
Theoretically with a bit of compensation I could get the tolerance down to .025 mm if I always used this tool and this collet :dance:
Bubba suggested I changed the bolts. I looked at them and found they had worn badly. When I thought I was doing them up tight I was actually trying to swage a new thread. I fitted overlength M16's with spacers and anti-seize compound. I can now use a ring spanner rather than the awkward Warco offering and it seems to like it.
By BillTodd in forum Milling Machines, Builds & ConversionsReplies: 24Last Post: 31-10-2013, 12:46 AM
By stevy123 in forum Items WantedReplies: 0Last Post: 24-08-2011, 09:35 AM
CONVERSION: Buget Warco Major 5 axis conversionBy Tweaky in forum Conversion Build LogsReplies: 45Last Post: 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM
By grimreaper in forum Milling Machines, Builds & ConversionsReplies: 6Last Post: 18-07-2010, 01:50 PM
NEW MEMBER: Warco super major millBy ste64 in forum New Member IntroductionsReplies: 5Last Post: 26-05-2010, 03:27 PM