. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying an Ethernet Step Pulse generator/motion controller, either a:

CSMIO/IP-M

Or an

Ethernet SmoothStepper

I would be very interested in hearing anyones opinions or experiences with either.

Both look good to me, and seem to intergrate nicely with Mach.
    I'm leaning towards the CSMIO board as it has both Inputs and outputs and doesn't need a breakout board(i think?)
    Although it's pulse frequency is 125Khz max

The Smoothstepper requires a breakout board (i think?) but has a pulse frequency of 4Mhz.

I have Gecko 203v drivers (which are 10 microstep) & 200 step motors
    so they require 2000 pulses per revolution of the motor shaft.
    therefore the CSMIO is capable of spinning the motor at 125000/2000= 62.5 revs/ Sec = 3750rpm
    This is way more than i need so i think the 125khz pulse rate is not a problem.

Am i correct in assuming this or have i botched my calcs somewhere.

Cheers
    Greeny

2. I used to run via printer port, and had no end of problems, missed steps, stalling motors etc, I then got an ESS and have never looked back.

I am sure others with advice you shorty.
    "If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

Thou I've not used the CSMIO/P-M but will shortly have it's bigger brother CSMIO/IP-S I can tell you the ESS is more than good enough for steppers and will easily do what you want.

The CSMIO is a cracking bit of kit and very high quality but the -M version doesn't allow slaved motors I believe.? So if your wanting this then the ESS will be better.

If you go with ESS then buy the PMDX 126 BOB Because the ESS can be directly plugged into it and with another daughter board the Gecko's can be combined making a very neat setup. Not cheap but high quality and the BOB is about the best in the business at this price range.

Just a note regards the frequency and ESS 4mhz max, The G203V have a maximum of input of 250khz so this is a limiting factor and in reality then you won't actually run any where near this. You'll mostly find your running a maximum of 100khz sot he 125Khz isn't limiting with steppers.

Servo's with high resolution encoders then it's different and you'll need the extra frequency. This is one of the reasons amongst others why I'm getting the CSMIO-IP-S.

Thanks guys, looks like both are good. I actually have a pmdx-122 stashed so it's pretty much even Stevens as to which to choose.

The CSMIO has all 24v digital input/outputs which I think is less affected by noise than 5v. Also it has 2 analogue 0-10v outputs for vfd control so i'm still leaning towards that, but the ESS looks good too! Decisions decisions.

Cheers
    greeny

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    The CSMIO has all 24v digital input/outputs which I think is less affected by noise than 5v. Also it has 2 analogue 0-10v outputs for vfd control so i'm still leaning towards that, but the ESS looks good too! Decisions decisions.
    Yes the CSMIO would be my choice if didn't need slaved motors because it's neat and high quality unit. . . BUT will say while 24V I/O's are nice you can still have a 24V driven control E-stop and limit system that is very noise immune if using the ESS or PP.!

The PMDX spindle board will plug into the 122 if spindle speed control was needed and you have it already so ESS will probably workout cheaper and still perform the same or better.!!!. . . . Ermm close call but either way you can't go wrong and both will blow the PP away.!!

Thanks,

Yes a 24v safety circuit is a good idea on either. I just bought a Pilz Pnoz 1 safety relay yesterday off fleabay which I hope will do the job nicely.
    Like you say it really is a close call, and most definately the best thing is the PP gets the boot.

Cheers
    Greeny

I just noticed Jazz's point about slaved motors.
    My upcoming build does not use slaved motors, but that's not to say i won't in future.

The CSMIO has an in built facility to slave motors independently of Mach. This however is NOT available in the M version.
    You can however still slave motors via Mach with the CMSIO "thinking" two slaved motors are independent axes, but CSMIO-M is limited to 4 Axes so that's something anyone reading this and considering buying the CSMIO-M should be aware of.

WARNING:
    Slaving within Mach could be a very bad idea when using the CSMIO-M
    Please check posts below for updates, or better still check with CS-labs before making any buying decisions

Cheers
    Greeny
    Last edited by Greeny; 06-09-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    I just noticed Jazz's point about slaved motors.
    My upcoming build does not use slaved motors, but that's not to say i won't in future.

The CSMIO has an in built facility to slave motors independently of Mach. This however is NOT available in the M version.
    You can however still slave motors via Mach with the CMSIO "thinking" two slaved motors are independent axes, but CSMIO-M is limited to 4 Axes so that's something anyone reading this and considering buying the CSMIO-M should be aware of.

Cheers
    Greeny
    This needs checking carefully thou because every other motion control card I have used takes the duty's of homing away from Mach3, it's a technical issue I think and comes has part of the deal of external motion control.?
    So while CMSIO may allow slaved independent axis that doesn't mean it will treat them combined while homing then independent for squaring which is what you need for slaved axis when homing.??. . . . .Best check with Manufacturer first.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-09-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    This needs checking carefully thou because every other motion control card I have used takes the duty's of homing away from Mach3, it's a technical issue I think and comes has part of the deal of external motion control.?
    So while CMSIO may allow slaved independent axis that doesn't mean it will treat them combined while homing then independent for squaring which is what you need for slaved axis when homing.??. . . . .Best check with Manufacturer first.!!
    Ahh, I did not realise that.
    So potentially, slaving a motor in Mach when using a CSMIO could be a very unwise thing to do.

Apologies for bad info. Note to self. Check facts before offering dodgy info!!!
    I have edited my post to warn and will check with CS-Lab about this

Cheers
    Greeny

10. Give another point to ESS,

They really do help if their are issues and once fully set up it runs a dream. When tuning my motors I can get a solid .005 to .01 mm repeats (the DTI and Plunge gauge are calibrated to +/- .01) which literally puts the machine up against the ability for me to accurately measure. That is with C7 screws Zap NEMA23 "24" 3.1 NM motors. Running Mach 3. B.O.B is a PMDX-126 and the power supply is a home built toroidal transformer providing ~68V w/ 15A. It does the job. Have the spindle on the relay on board the PMDX and also a secondary relay off the PMDX so that power is cut during E-Stop.

With Geckos and the Jumbo mode on a PMDX 126 or the ribbon cables you can set up a rather power system if you have the time effort and funds.

-Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information