. .
    I have a PCPPS B.O.B. which has 5 inputs and 3 outputs. I'm inexperienced with CNC setups, so just wondering if I can use one of the outputs to control a Telemacanique Altivar VFD?

Depends if you still have free outputs. You will need a separate 0-10v PWM control hooked to one of the outputs , like this one C41, i have the same setup and works great/ not the same BOB as you/. You will need additional transformer dc from a cell phone or so, to supply the voltage to that board. Do not supply from your other sources.

This BOB you speak of is very basic board. Cheaper could be to have a good board with various inputs, outputs and integrated spindle control output

"Telemacanique Altivar VFD" is very general. What model exactly? You need to check in the exact model PDF documentation if it accepts signal for controlling the spindle and what signal exactly. If you are just looking at that VDF on ebay, there are much better choices. Also you need a CC Vector- constant current vector control VFD for a CNC spindle control. If you already have the VFD and it is CC, nevertheless you have to reprogram it entirely to make sure its in CC mode and enter your spindle specifics.

I will be happy to help you if you have further uncertainties about this.

I already have the VFD: Schneider Altivar 312 1.5kW 230V 1ph to 3ph - AC Inverter Drive Speed Controller - AC Inverter Drives (230V)

It seems that I can use LinuxCNC to control the VFD via an RS232 or RJ45. I'm not working on this part yet, but it's good to know that solutions are available.

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: VFD Modbus

Yeah, just took a look at the 3 manuals of your drive. Seems a standard good drive. Though its not well explained as my Toshiba vfd. The basic connection diagram shows a potentiometer attached and 10v , so there goes the PWM from the BOB or aditional PWM output card

I bought mine with the idea of using the RS232 or RJ45, but as i am not programmer and have found at that time reference only how to do it with Hitachi, i went for the simplest solution.

Take care, as your drive is 500HZ not 400hz as the typical Chinese 24000rpm spindle. make sure you limit it to 400hz, otherwise you will hear a puff and white smoke if you drive your 24000rpm spindle to 30000rpm
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 08-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.

I should be fine with the spindle speed as it's on a milling machine and I'm upgrading to a standard 3-phase 1.5Kw motor, so won't be running above 70hz.

Thread Information