. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    However its a good idea to program ramp time of 6 sec in the Vfd and 10 sec dwell time in Mach3
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 07-09-2013 at 01:04 PM.

for what it's worth, this seems to be the spindle I have...

800W High Speed CNC Spindle Motor, View spindle motor, JST Product Details from Changzhou Jiesite Electrical Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

(the model is jgd-65c-800 - it has 400Hz stamped on the case)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 07-09-2013 at 01:31 PM.

The braking resistor is mostly for when a motor is connected to a load, for example imagine a motor connected to a 10ton flywheel and somebody hits the emergency stop button. There's a lot of energy to get rid of in a short space of time and it's the resistor that dissipates this energy, obviously a spindle in our application does not have a load connected.
    Also re. ramp times, in the ABB I use on my pin router I have the normal ramp time set to something over 5 seconds (can't quite remember) but I can set another ramp for emergency stop situations and this is set lower and for this I use a braking resistor (because I already had one) which allows it to stop very quickly but in reality it's not doing a lot. Also the resistor is there to prevent damage to the drive, depending on how much protection is built into it the DC link voltage can rise and cause damage.

In my first post when I talked about getting the higher quality version of the 800W spindle to reduce noise (among other things), I didn't realise that you already had a spindle. I've made the video comparing the two spindles I have to hand:

Again, the video makes it sound worse - in reality the 3kW spindle is so quiet that you could almost forget that it's switched on.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 08-09-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jonathan...quite a difference - even with the 3kw spindle lying on a large flat table (which will possibly 'amplify' the spindle's sound/vibrations ....just like a soundbox on an acoustic guitar).

The smaller spindle sounds quite loud to my ears...but again, that might be a trick of the camera mic.

(btw your audio in that youtube video drops out completely at approx 4m16s)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 08-09-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    (btw your audio in that youtube video drops out completely at approx 4m16s)
    Hmm, that's annoying as I just deleted the original so it'll have to stay like that. In the rest of the video I put the radio on again to demonstrate how you can't hear it with the old spindle running and also commented that it's all a bit insignificant compared to the noise generated when cutting unless perhaps what you're cutting uses very small/light cuts.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Hmm, that's annoying as I just deleted the original so it'll have to stay like that. In the rest of the video I put the radio on again to demonstrate how you can't hear it with the old spindle running and also commented that it's all a bit insignificant compared to the noise generated when cutting unless perhaps what you're cutting uses very small/light cuts.
    No worries you went above & beyond the call of duty - pont taken about the noise of the actual cutting itself, but for me it's mainly gonna be just 0.1mm deep into FR4! (so the noise of the spindle is likely to be the main contributing factor wrt strained man/wife relationships!)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 08-09-2013 at 10:21 PM.

So, something arrived in the post today, from Italy ...

...yay!

About £120 delivered (thanks for the heads up silyavski).

Sure, I can buy cheaper if I go the Chinese path, but I've had some horrific experiences with chinese electronics over the past couple of years (TB6560 anyone?), so I decided to pony up the extra forty quid which will hopefully save me some grief!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 09-10-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    So, something arrived in the post today, from Italy ...
    Great so is it running yet.? . . . . If not why not. . . . . .Think you'll like it.!!

A bit more heads up:

The Speed and corresponding frequencies in HZ, measured carefully with a device, you r can be slightly different but not so much. Open it in new window to see it better and enlarge it with "control" + "+" , or PM if you can not read it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VDF speeds.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	10396

The typical connection / check well the manual/

cables from left to right
    - trip ,
    - PWM control,
    - ??? i forgot , not so sure, but it was enable to the BOB, in case of power loss it stops everything/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VDF.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	10397

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information