Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
If your concerned about getting the Chinese VFD, which I wouldn't be, bear in mind if you get the 1.5kW or 2.2kW version and run a spindle rate for only 800W then it's always going to be operating at a tiny fraction of the rating. This means it's not going to get hot, and heat tends to be what wears out electrical components. Also, plenty of people here use them so it's guaranteed to be easy to set up.
I agree but there are 3 main points where i am not happy with Chinese VFD:

1. The documentation

The Toshiba VFD has 300 pages manual and every detail is explained in even greater detail. Its quite exhausting to program the VFD for one that has no idea on what it does exactly. I remember spending a week programming my first VFD. Now imagine the ammount of forums that have to be read to learn the same for the Chinese VFD

2. Warranty

Warranty in EU, not China

3. Price

For a 120eur for the 800w ones for me its a no brainer. However the Chinese one could be interesting in the 2.2-3kw range

Anyways, depends from the point of view. Every machine has critical parts and for me the VFD is one of the most critical. For example i use many of the functions of the said VFD. Like detecting stall and similar and tripping above a pre programmed amperage draw. The enable on my BOB is driven by the VFD. I leave the machine sometimes do long jobs. The machine is powered by 1500w UPS power supply. So if the electricity stops, if the VFD is not connected to the BOB, the machine continues doing whatever it does for half an hour more but the spindle does not rotate, imagine the mess and damage. Sometimes a bit breaks or digs and instead of damage, the VFD trips. i dont know of the functions of the Chinese VFD which possibly are the same. Just like playing safe, at least for a 800w spindle. For my next machine i could also contemplate 3kw chinese kit due to price.