. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm reluctant to start a Build Log until some details are ironed out, if you think this is wrong then please let me know.

This a Z axis that tries to keep the overhang to a minimum while still using slightly modified off the shelf ballnut and ballscrew end support.
    The ballscrew is supported at the top only but I can't see this being a problem.

All plate is 1/2" - is this enough ?
    Ballscrew is 1605
    Rails are 15mm Hiwin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z-Axis-1.jpg 
Views:	896 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	10068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z-Axis2.jpg 
Views:	907 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	10069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z-Axis3.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	10070

Can't seem to add the sketchup file
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 11-09-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Two things jump out at me. The first is the carriages are too close together buoy need to space them out more. The second is that the ball screw will whip with no end support so speed will be severely compromised.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Okay re. carriages but how can the ball screw whip when the linear bearings are keeping everything firmly in place ? maybe it happens most when the Z axis is at it's highest point ?

Ok 12.5mm plate is too thin you need 19-20mm minimum other wise it will flex, you could get away with 12.5 on the rear plate but I wouldn't advise.

The way you have the ballnut on top of front plate means the rear plate is longer than needed really wasting money and adding weight.
    The screw not being supported at both ends isn't a problem at short length(<150mm travel) but if having long travel and with you having ballnut right at top then supporting both ends would be better.

Bearings are too close together which has been said. . . . BUT .. . Also you haven't shown how it's fastening to Y axis carriages and I suspect those bottom bearings will be in the way of bolt holes.? It's a common Err and chances are you'll raise them up 20mm or so.?

I wouldn't get too carried away with trying to reduce overhang, the little you'll save won't make a big differance to cutting area but could to performance and quality of cut if taken too far.!!

The ball screw will not whip. On my small machine its exactly like this. Though if s**t happens and the screw pushes a hard stop bolt/asuming you fix one/ or table bed, everything will bend, instead of just stalling the motor. Or so it seems. At least mine bended a couple of times.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 12-09-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to look and advise, now drawing version 2

Just a quick one, ball nut choice for Z axis using 1605 ball screw. Trying to keep the back and front plates close together so what would be best type FSI, RSU, RSW ? or am I pissing into the wind and should just opt for a FSUD and have a bigger gap ?
    Thanks

Yep pissing on your own leg.!!. . . To me your making things harder than need be for very little gain, just get the one which makes building easiest. Standard ballnut does the job great and easy got.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Latest.
    Spec: machine workable area 900x600x150

Plate: 20mm aluminium
    Ally profile: 80x40
    16mm ball screws (X-1610 Y-1610 Z-1605)
    2 off ball screws for X driven by 1 motor via timing belts
    15mm HIWIN bearings
    'Standard' ball nuts (possible slightly modified by a mm or 2)

I know, a bit of backtracking, but I've been agonising over the L gantry and I just can't get away with that big plate down the back of the Z axis that joins the top and bottom, plus I don't like the ball screw that far back even though I know Jazz said it would not be problem in the real world. This is a C gantry and I'm planning to fit bellows (from here Machine Bellows - Arc Euro Trade) along the front to keep crap out.
    You may notice that the Z rails do not meet the front plate, I'll have to mount the rails to the plate and shim the bearing carriages out by about 4mm, it was the only way to get the ball nut in. I still might get a RSW nut for experimenting with.

You might think the Z axis backplate hangs too low below the gantry and that is probably true, I might have to raise the whole assembly a bit but I'd still like Z travel of 150mm

It's probably best to move this to a build log next.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev2-1.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	10102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev2-2.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	10103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev2-3.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	10104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev2-4.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	10105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev2-5.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	10106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev2-6.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	10107
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 13-09-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    plus I don't like the ball screw that far back even though I know Jazz said it would not be problem in the real world.
    Ah ah I find this hilarious.!! . . . For some reason you don't like the screw at rear but yet your happy with the rear plate extending down below gantry and flapping about seriously weakening and compromising the quality of finish.?

Think about the machine your building not what some spread sheet that somebody who's never probably built a CNC machine predicts is the optimum location, Or from looking at some poorly built machine who's getting less than expected results then blaming there crappy build quality on design style.

Now I'm not saying that rear is best or optimum but Both ways will work equally same and I'd challenge you to spot the difference in quality of finish in 99.9% of cut materials if I built 2 machines in each style. . . My preference for rear mounted screw is poorly for ease of build and neatness with motors/belts etc and with cable management etc so not messing around with floppy bellows and motors sticking out side of machine.

Your insistence on keeping Z axis slim and low is seriously compromising the machine.!! . . . Front or rear screw no matter but this Z axis is wrong.
    Lift the bearings and rear plate so they are supported by the gantry other wise the back plate will flex under cutting forces.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information