It was so long ago I can't remember, or find, if I posted a build log for the initial CNC conversion of my milling machine. All I did was made some quick stepper motor mounts for the existing ACME screws and quill feed. It works, but clearly it's not ideal and has plenty of backlash, so time to add some ballscrews and eliminate the backlash using the usual system of two nuts and disc springs.

I've done Y, should get a bit more travel than the original 145mm (or actually 141mm because the original was assembled incorrectly):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02371 (Large).JPG 
Views:	2074 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	10033

Name:	DSC02374 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1120 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	10034

That's the old motor mount - I need to replace it with something stronger that doesn't look like a grandfather clock. I've left it like that for now so I can use the Y-axis, as it's tricky to make parts with only one axis working...

I've machined the ballscrew for the X-axis, threads on both ends so I can tension it between angular contact bearings. Long bit for the pulley and room for a dial so I can still use it manually. Annoyingly I accidentally dug the tool where the bearing goes, but it's a good fit so it's only aesthetic damage.

Name:	DSC02382 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1220 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	10036

Here's the ballnut mount for X, which is the same system as Y, so two nuts and a belleville washer to preload one of them against the other and eliminate the backlash:

Name:	DSC02370 (Large).JPG 
Views:	2873 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	10032

Name:	DSC02375 (Large).JPG 
Views:	2027 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	10035

Things to do:
Acquire and machine Y ballscrew so it's the right length.
Mill a bit more off the X ballnut mount to get it closer to clearing the table.
Decide how to take 1-2mm off the underside of the ends of the table to clear the ballnut mount. CNC router might do it, if not I guess I need to get an angle grinder.
Make bearing and motor mounts for X.
Make everything for Z.

Here's some pictures of the quill:

Name:	DSC02379 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1170 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	10037

Name:	DSC02380 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1109 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	10038

The front face is machined, albeit roughly, so looks like I'll be able to use that to mount the Z-ballscrew...