. .
    Peace, Good day every one.

I am resident of Kuwait, bit weak on me English side :) By profession I am an IT Business Analyst, know how to use AutoDesk product, Adobe CS6, March3 (installed to learn and things like G-Code etc for knowledge), technically have sound knowledge of CCTV, Access controllers, Flight Simulations, RC hobby stuff, drafting, photography, can sold wires etc why mentioned all this is? you may know when advising me, I am sure I will understand your technical advises :)

I was looking at 6040 or 3040z 4 axis machines on the net and that is to make parts for my RC 1/10 Car :) and take it from there to engraving and embossing on wood or other material to obtain some work from local market to start my own bread earning business.

Is it possible to take such machine (3040z) apart and make a bigger version of it? I am sure that's the job of controller to make the motors travel on desired distance. How do I go about?

Azhar's Photos

Hi Dr. Panga

Taking an existing, 6040,3040 machine apart to build a bigger machine, I think would be no good.
    About the only thing you would not need to modify is the control electronics & motors.
    The control electronics of those ebay chinese 6040/3040 routers are notoriousy cheap and nasty. Most people replace them immediately!
    Most of the rails,ballscrews,gantry would need to be replaced. You might be able to use some of the bed, but 80%+ of the machine would not be re-used.

I would look at either buying a machine at the right size for your needs, or building your own from the start.
    If you decide to build one, you need to do a lot of reading here, and on other forums, and there are many other web pages giving advice.
    Web searches for "DIY CNC Router", "Self Build CNC Router" are a good starting place.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers
    Greeny

Great Photos, by the way!

Thank you so much for the advise, I think I should go for something small to stay in my budget.

What mainly I want to do is small aluminum parts & wood engraving & embossing. I want 4axis to prepare wooden table legs with Islamic Artwork. As find potential in the local market, good market for one meter by 50 or 70cm wood embossing with floral & Arabic (Persian, Urdu) text.

What is the best suitable brand I should go for, that wont be industrial size so I could use it at home.

URLs will help.

Thank you.

I'm sorry i couldn't advise on any particular brand as i don't own one myself.
    I am currently building one.

If you have a budget, see what machines are in that price range then ask for opinions on those machines in as
    many places as possible. You are more likely to get replies when asking about specific machines rather than general enquiries.

I am very interested in geometrical designs and some of the best designs are those of the Islamic craftsmen.

An Interesting page on computer generating Islamic Star patterns is here
    Islamic Star Patterns
    and a couple of free programs to generate star type patterns can be found here
    Taprats
    Arabeske Home Page

Cheers
    Greeny
    Last edited by Greeny; 16-09-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks you, I shall do that, search the model and then seek advise.

This is what I am aiming for, one one round wooden pillars and other on flat woods like for tables, doors, etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al Hambra in Granada - Spain (wood works).jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	10144
    Intricate wood carving decorates the top of a pillar in an old mosque

Thanks.
    Az

Thread Information