. .
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    It does say low viscosity, but as you say is it really worth it? Does look like it'll fit the bill mind! I'm just drawing fences on my frame to see what volume I'll need...I've emailed them to see if it's equivalent to the Wests System!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Oh feck it....rush of blood to the head.....should have some winging it's way to me shortly. £33.36 inc P&P for 1.5kg of resin and 0.5kg of slow cure hardner. Will have a play and let you know how it pours. I reckon that I'll need 0.63 litres of mixed epoxy for 5mm depth so the standard pack should do nicely!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Now I feel responsible if it's shit so I'll have to order some as well Name:  hug.gif
Views: 1788
Size:  19.1 KB
    I was going to anyway, I like to live on the edge sometimes

Anyway just compared viscosity, West = 650 cps, Syntac 650-750 mPas, (1 cps = 1 mPas)

I'm thinking the main thing here with both of them is to get a good temperature going before pouring, it needs to be string vest only temperature minimum in the shed.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...%20105_209.pdf
    http://www.reactiveresins.com/syntac...poxyresins.pdf
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 28-01-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Now I feel responsible if it's shit so I'll have to order some as well Name:  hug.gif
Views: 1788
Size:  19.1 KB
    I was going to anyway, I like to live on the edge sometimes

Anyway just compared viscosity, West = 650 cps, Syntac 650-750 mPas, (1 cps = 1 mPas)

I'm thinking the main thing here with both of them is to get a good temperature going before pouring, it needs to be string vest only temperature minimum in the shed.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...%20105_209.pdf
    http://www.reactiveresins.com/syntac...poxyresins.pdf
    Don't worry about it Eddy...I compared and they looked pretty identical...so in a rush of blood to the head bought some. You'll probably be using it before I do anyway as I've got 44 x M5 holes to drill and tap for the rails and before I can do that I've got to make a plate so I can get the linear carriages mounted to get the rails in the correct position on the box section. At the rate I'm going at the moment it will be summer by the time I've done that
    Neil...

Build log...here

It's interesting you say you'll make it hot in the shed as I was just wondering whether it would be better to make the environment warmer or cooler. The mixture will certainly start of with a lower viscosity if it's warmer but it will also set faster as well (a rule of thumb from chemistry is a reaction will go twice as fast for every 10 deg C warmer) which means there is less time for it to find a level everywhere. I can't help feeling you'd be better off working with it as cold as you can to give it time to spread out before it sets. It says it'll cure down to 8 deg C if you are willing to accept a reduction in mechanical strength. Might be worth an experiment, make up a small amount cold and pour it onto a piece of scrap, see how far it spreads then repeat with a warm batch / environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    It's interesting you say you'll make it hot in the shed as I was just wondering whether it would be better to make the environment warmer or cooler. The mixture will certainly start of with a lower viscosity if it's warmer but it will also set faster as well (a rule of thumb from chemistry is a reaction will go twice as fast for every 10 deg C warmer) which means there is less time for it to find a level everywhere.
    See the Chemistry did come in useful!!

I can't help feeling you'd be better off working with it as cold as you can to give it time to spread out before it sets. It says it'll cure down to 8 deg C if you are willing to accept a reduction in mechanical strength.
    My shed will be ideal then as it's bl***y freezing in there at the moment!!!
    I'll do mine in the test bay at work, there's one bay used for storage that's colder than the rest but still above 10°C I'd guess.

Might be worth an experiment, make up a small amount cold and pour it onto a piece of scrap, see how far it spreads then repeat with a warm batch / environment.
    I'll be doing that for sure before committing to the real thing. I wonder if you can gradually increase the ambient temperature once it's had 12 hours or so to find the level so that you get the best of both worlds?!
    Neil...

Build log...here

It's just that the West data sheet says this;

Minimum recommended temperature 70°F (21°C)
    *Epoxy cures faster at higher temperatures and in thicker applications

and the Syntac data sheet quotes the viscosity at 25 deg.C
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 28-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.

I think you should be careful re the temperature read the link to the wests system and it shows that it must not be cold, also I would check with your supply what the shrinkage and compression strength is of their product as there is not a lot of info on their data sheet. Don't forget to seal the inside of the trough because if you have any leaks it won't leave a level surface. Good luck. ..Clive

Well I'll be having the wood burner going anyway, it says the pot life is about 40 minutes so surely that's enough for it to settle ?

For making the trough I was thinking about using this, do you think the epoxy will eat into it ?

10x10mm, 1.75M, Foam Sealing Tape Adhesive Strip, Draught Excluder, EPDM Rubber | eBay

Edit: this is better, I'd missed the fact that previous stuff was only 1.75m long.
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Iron.../sd2802/p70101
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 28-01-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Well I'll be having the wood burner going anyway, it says the pot life is about 40 minutes so surely that's enough for it to settle ?

For making the trough I was thinking about using this, do you think the epoxy will eat into it ?

10x10mm, 1.75M, Foam Sealing Tape Adhesive Strip, Draught Excluder, EPDM Rubber | eBay
    Are you going to make a moat between the two rails so that they will be both at the same level, also the epoxy will rise up at the edges so make sure you have a wide enough flat plane to mount the rails on say at least 10mm each side. ..Clive

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information