Thread: Ready Steady Eddy
I don't think anyone has tried both epoxy products side by side but it seemed to me that if there was a difference then I would not be able to tell. I tried marking it with a scriber and used a centre punch on it and both times it was as hard you could wish for.
It wasn't shrinkage, it was the fastened down rail compressing the epoxy slightly.
Maybe nobody has removed their rails to see if the epoxy has moved ? maybe everyone else let it cure longer than I did ? maybe I torqued the rails down harder ? maybe my environmental conditions meant it had to cure longer ?. There are so many variables it's not possible to compare two situations. All I know is it should be left as long as possible after 3 days before fitting the rails, I seem to remember seeing 9 days somewhere but can't find the reference again.
Also I do not see it as a bit of a disaster, this is a DIY solution, it would not be used in a commercial machine (I hope !). The amount of sinking I'm talking about is less than 10 thou. , the sinking was uniform along the length, it only occured along the 'feet' of the rail, not in the middle so was easy to repair using the 5 minute epoxy and an old credit card , even if I had not repaired it it would have been fine because both rails were still in the same plane.
Last edited by EddyCurrent; 15-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted
Setting up the gantry rails. The top rail has been fitted alongside a straight edge parallel to the front face of the gantry, this is the bottom rail being positioned. I put a bearing block on the top rail and fastened a G-cramp to it, then I attached a DTI with a magnetic base to the G-cramp. Sliding the block along showed that the rails were within 0.002" of parallel. Now to drill, tap, and fit the bottom rail.
Attachment 11621Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted
Have you managed to bolt those two pieces of box section together inside (middle picture in power #180)? I'd love to know how you managed that if you have. I seriously considered trying that but there was no way I could think to get my arm in the box section and tools would be hellishly fiddly.
All this said for wood use then this will still be plenty good enough so it wouldn't bother me.
Regards the Epoxy then I agree West is Good and market leader but I've used other Infusion resin Epoxy's with no problems. Believe Rushing was your problem.!!
I measured using a DTI from the face of the surrounding epoxy that had not been touched, I have 10mm each side of the rail 'spare'
Yes, rushing was most likely the problem.Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted
Looking sweet eddy, keep up the good work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:
16-02-2014 #189Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted
Once I got the rails fitted to the gantry and the two lower bearing blocks added it was easy to see how to square everything up.
The gantry is bolted to the carriages at each end, the bolts were left slightly loose until the whole assembly was squared.
First an engineers square was adjusted to be exactly 90 deg. by using the flip over method mentioned previously, the fact it's a cheap Aldi one does not matter as you will see.
As silyavski pointed out recently, the Hiwin rails and bearing blocks have a machined side that should be used as a datum, so to these faces of the lower bearing blocks I clamped the engineers square.
All I had to do then was measure the distance between the engineers square and the long rails using a vernier. This was done at the end of the square and right up at the gantry so obviously when they read the same the gantry is at right angles to the long rails. The key point is that it's the two sets of rails that are being squared and not just the gantry frame. Also with regard to the cheap square, it can now be slid over to the other side of the gantry as it's clamped to the bearing blocks, and a similar reading can be made with the vernier. If the square was out of adjustment then the error would be multiplied at this side because the two long rails are exactly parallel. Once everything was adjusted the gantry securing bolts were tightened.
Last edited by EddyCurrent; 17-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:
By graffian in forum Metalwork DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 08-05-2013, 07:59 PM
NEW MEMBER: Hello all, finally ready to start a build log.By Iwant1 in forum New Member IntroductionsReplies: 11Last Post: 25-12-2012, 06:03 PM
By rnr107 in forum Items On eBay UKReplies: 1Last Post: 25-07-2012, 07:29 AM
By bogstandard in forum Milling Machines, Builds & ConversionsReplies: 9Last Post: 07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
By Lee Roberts in forum Computer SoftwareReplies: 8Last Post: 29-07-2009, 03:33 PM