. .
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Jonathan said he won't use BK12 bearings and I think he's half right.
    The housings seem to be okay provided they are dimensioned correctly for the bearings used, but it's the supplied bearings themselves that are extremely suspect.
    I just stripped a couple out, one had Japan bearings the other China bearings, one had the bearings facing opposite directions, one had both bearings facing the same direction (keep in mind these are angular contact bearings), the China bearings had no grease whatsover in them.
    So it's a good job I stripped them down but now they have to be sorted out.
    First I had to understand about AC bearings so found this;

Bearings for universal matching
    Internal clearance and preload
    (click on the 'table' links near the bottom)

Now I understand I need to reassemble according to those diagrams but can't decide if Fig2 or Fig3 arrangement (see first link above) is best, opinions please.

Edit: After reading this
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/linear...her-apart.html I'm thinking Fig2.

and this
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/linear...end-float.html
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 11-03-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Back to Back Eddy.

.Me
    .Me

That's Fig2 then, thanks.
    I also decide to get some new bearings for the blocks because the backlash on the China bearings was serious. I fitted a shim between the outer races but with the locknut fitted there was still slight play, the shim was the thickness of a Guinness can which in this application is thick. I also took a skim off the block to make sure the outer races were being clamped.

Also I'm sure I have a bent ball screw on the Y axis, it's not something I've done myself, on the last 1/3rd of it as you rotate it by hand it goes, slack,tight,slack,tight,etc. and using inside calipers between the screw and the gantry the gap goes big,small,big,small,etc. I'm not 100% yet but it might be the turned down section on the end is off centre.

I may have to get into this

http://www.roton.com/screw_shaft.aspx
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 11-03-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

As requested layout info for panel, please refer to schematics posted previously.

Starting top left.

Panel isolator, AM882's, ABB Inverter
    PSU for stepper drivers, FL2, FL1, CB2, 5V PSU, 24V PSU
    CB1, K1, K2, K5, Breakout Board with spindle board and K6, Smooth Stepper (mounted on panel side (aargh I hate that))
    Terminal rail, K3, K4, PILZ Safety Relay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1.jpg 
Views:	833 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	11816 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2.JPG 
Views:	684 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	11817

On the close up photo you can see 3 wires (77,75,24N) going to a piece of vero board located on a stand-up on the bob, that's K6 the transistor relay for flashing the lamp (see schematic)
    It got a bit crowded and I've not got the fans in yet ! the grey wire hanging down is just the spindle I have lashed in temporarily.

Added a limit override switch (it's a spring return type so you can't accidentally leave it on), still need to label up everything on front.

Name:	P3.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	11818
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-03-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I also decide to get some new bearings for the blocks because the backlash on the China bearings was serious. I fitted a shim between the outer races but with the locknut fitted there was still slight play, the shim was the thickness of a Guinness can which in this application is thick. I also took a skim off the block to make sure the outer races were being clamped.
    I think I remember Dean saying some time ago that the tubular spacers on the BK bearings are not always long enough and that he had made fresh ones. It is there to enable the lock nut to push the inner races together.
    I might be talking crap though ..Clive

Clive, you're not talking crap but in this case the spacers are okay, it's the bearings themselves, the inner and outer races are dimensioned wrong so there is no gap for preload. I've been reading that the bearings should be obtained as a pair.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 11-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.

After reading this I've just been looking closer at one of my fixed end bearing blocks and it has play in the bearings. The floating end has a NSK Japan bearing in, not sure about the fixed as I've not taken it apart yet but I can bet my bottom dollar that they'll be cheap Chinese bearings...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yep....chinese bearings (ungreased) and face to face so the inner races were not being tensioned...need a shim and some grease and see how they fare...

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG 
Views:	356 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	11820
    Neil...

Build log...here

Looks like Z axis ball screw has issues too. Noticed while driving it up and down, with the front plate off, the ball nut and bracket were fine at the bottom but the more they reached the top the more they oscillated side to side. I took it all to bits and found two things, the turned down section at the driving end was slightly off centre and the the whole turned down section was bend to one side. With the ball screw resting in two V blocks it was rotated and a DTI measured a deviation of 0.8 mm at the end where the pulley sits, this reduced to 0.35 where the BK12 bearing sits. So I did what any self respecting person would do, put it in the vice and knocked seven bells of shite out of it ! to say I was upset would be an understatement. Actually I put it in my mini lathe chuck with a DTL fitted and 'coaxed' it back straight. It's a lot better but not perfect due to the off centre turned down section. Next I'll have to see what can be done with the Y ball screw. Who's idea was it to get stuff from China ?

Who did you buy from ?
    .Me

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information