. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

I'm looking to build a CNC router

The bed will be made from 40mmx40mm T section steel with slotted idlers running on the outer edges (for now ) for the gantry, and similar for the y axis gantry

bed size is 1200mm x 600mm (so i can get a full 1000mm x 500mm cutting are)

I've seen on the net a motor kit, NEMA 23 motors (1.8 step 178.5 oz inch)
    DM542A driver
    350w 36v 9.7A switched PSU

now will this set up be ok the motors will be driving a belt two to one reduction gear then timing belt for the x and y axis
    and a screw for the z axis (200mm)

thanks mark

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug View Post
    Hi all,
    Hi and welcome to the forum!!

I'm looking to build a CNC router
    Well there's plenty of info on here for inspiring your build so you've come to a good place!!

The bed will be made from 40mmx40mm T section steel with slotted idlers running on the outer edges (for now ) for the gantry, and similar for the y axis gantry
    Not ideal as will need machining to get a decent flatness but depending on what you want to cut (what do you want to cut?) will probably be ok.

bed size is 1200mm x 600mm (so i can get a full 1000mm x 500mm cutting are)
    Doubt you'll get 100x500 out of the dimensions you state, it's amazing how much room the gantry and Z axis take up. My machine is 1300x850 and I get 970mm x 500mm (just!) but that's because of the design I went for!

I've seen on the net a motor kit, NEMA 23 motors (1.8 step 178.5 oz inch)
    DM542A driver
    350w 36v 9.7A switched PSU

now will this set up be ok the motors will be driving a belt two to one reduction gear then timing belt for the x and y axis
    and a screw for the z axis (200mm)

thanks mark
    Generally motor kits are not matched very well, the motors tend to be high inductance and the PSU underpowered resulting in a slow machine. You're far better off buying separate items which the lads on here can recommend.....but only really worth doing that when you have a design up (which we'll happily critique) and say what you realistically want to cut.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Well there's plenty of info on here for inspiring your build so you've come to a good place!!

Not ideal as will need machining to get a decent flatness but depending on what you want to cut (what do you want to cut?) will probably be ok.

Doubt you'll get 100x500 out of the dimensions you state, it's amazing how much room the gantry and Z axis take up. My machine is 1300x850 and I get 970mm x 500mm (just!) but that's because of the design I went for!

Generally motor kits are not matched very well, the motors tend to be high inductance and the PSU underpowered resulting in a slow machine. You're far better off buying separate items which the lads on here can recommend.....but only really worth doing that when you have a design up (which we'll happily critique) and say what you realistically want to cut.

Hi thanks for the advice, the router is to start off with just for me to get use to router/software as time goes by i hope to improve/modify ill will be only cutting MDF / ply and speed isn't a issue,

thanks mark

Hi thanks for the advice, the router is to start off with just for me to get use to router/software as time goes by i hope to improve/modify ill will be only cutting MDF / ply and speed isn't a issue,

thanks mark
    No problems Mark, get a design drawn up for everyone to look at (it's surprising the little things you don't think about that others who've done it before know about) and take it from there. Don't buy anything until you've got your design finalised, especially the electronics, as things can change quite alot...

P.s. unfortunately you need speed to cut wood....unless you've a slow spindle.
    Last edited by njhussey; 04-08-2016 at 11:25 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hi thanks for the info,

what is the ideal speed for the x and y axis if cutting MDF/Wood/Plastic/light metal?

As to software has anyone any recomendations for a MAC

The ideal speed will depend on your spindle speed and also machine rigidity so is difficult to say. I cut acetal at 18k rpm and 6500 mm/min...
    Neil...

Build log...here

I have a idea of what i want plus a few sketches just now trying to find a cheep (free) cad program for the mac computer

then i will post my designs :)

I have a idea of what i want plus a few sketches just now trying to find a cheep (free) cad program for the mac computer

then i will post my designs :)
    For 2D you can use Draftsight, 3D and CAM try Fusion 360. both are free and both can (I believe) be run on a Mac.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Wow that fusion is a little out of my price range (for now)

It's free!!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information