. .
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    More playing about today, lashed some wires in for the two X axis stepper motors and got it moving, A is a slave off X
    Settings as follows;

AM882 - microstep 8 giving 1600 steps/rev
    Mach3 - steps per = 160 (using 10mm pitch ball screws), Velocity 10000 mm/min, Acceleration 3000 mm/sec.

Tried velocity up to 15000 but it stalled quite often, so the question is, how do these numbers sound ?

It's not clear how to set things like 'Kernel Speed' when using the Smooth Stepper, I set it to 35000 Hz anyway.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    It's not clear how to set things like 'Kernel Speed' when using the Smooth Stepper, I set it to 35000 Hz anyway.
    Doesn't use Kernal Speed has that's for Parallel port but it's recommended to set it to default 25000Hz. What is the Freq in the SS plug-in.? This is the equivalent of the Kernal speed but you can go much higher. That said don't go too high and you won't need to go much higher than 128Khz.

Your accel is too high really at 3000 try 1500-2000, having Accel high will make for jurky movements and potential stalls or lost steps. You'll probably find you can go higher on Velocity without changing any thing other than lowering Accel.

To be honest thou 10mtr/min is fine for rapid speeds, 10mtr/min is 1000Rpm on 10mm pitch so going higher risks chance of missed steps from lower torque as motors reach the corner speed and gantry weight and inertia push the motors.!

In practice you'll rarely cut at those speeds so I wouldn't go chasing any more speed really.!! . . . .Your after smooth stable running.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-03-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Smooth Stepper is set to 1MHz, the range of settings is 32kHz to 4MHz so I set it to upper mid range.
    Acceleration is high only because I read somewhere to keep it in line with Velocity, I did have it at 1500 and noticed no difference so I've just set it back to that now.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Smooth Stepper is set to 1MHz, the range of settings is 32kHz to 4MHz so I set it to upper mid range.
    Acceleration is high only because I read somewhere to keep it in line with Velocity, I did have it at 1500 and noticed no difference so I've just set it back to that now.
    No point having SS set that high because both the drives and the BOB can't work at that pulse rate so going higher than 256Khz is a waste and can potentialy cause problems or make system unstable. Personaly I would drop it back to 128Khz has you'll never need higher than that anyway.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    Very nice set up Eddy. I assume the keyboard and monitor swing around to the side so you don't have to lean over the bed to get at them?
    Yes it does, it can swing out to either side

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    I'm planning on making a drum sander once the CNC (and workshop) is built. It'll probably turn out to be cheaper to buy one but where's the fun in that.
    I keep an eye out here for customer returns Engineering Chuck Centre Chisel, Woodwork Woodturning Cutting Craft items in Axminster Tool Centre Devon Tools Power Provider store on eBay!
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-03-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Yes, I've been known to have a look in that store from time to time. Got a rather nice P/T from it a few years back. I little bit of cosmetic damage saved me several hundred.

I can't believe this Igus direct ordering, I order some energy chain (less than 3 metres) on Thursday 20th March and the estimate for delivery is Monday 31st March, so how does this video make sense ? I must have ordered part number 80,001

http://www.youtube.com/user/igusUK
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 25-03-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It happens.
    They can't keep every possible item in stock, so sometimes you have to wait for it to be made and/or shipped across from Germany. If you're desperate for something, it's better to give them a call, as they can tell you exactly what they have in stock, and can suggest alternatives.

I know what the problem is.?. . . . . .The stripes on there ties go in wrong direction. . Lol

On 21st I ordered some parts from China and the tracking number has them in Uk now and should be with me Thursday/fri. This order includes Energy chain Which IMO is every bit as good as Igus stuff but only costs me £18.50 for 2mtr.!!

I'd not by items from Igus just because of those ties! I can't say fashion is high up on my list of "things wot I know something about" but even I could do better than that.

I completely agree though Jazz, as long as you're prepared to do your homework the stuff coming out of China is just as good as the locally sourced stuff at a fraction of the price and often with similar delivery times. I'm sure Igus are making plenty of money at the moment but I can't help feeling they (and a lot of European companies) are leaving the door open for far eastern companies to come over here and eat their lunch.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread Information