. .
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Cheers Eddy I've actually just ordered from that Ebay site you've posted.

I used these for my panel : Buy Cable Markers HellermannTyton Assorted Clip On Clip On Cable Marker, Pre-printed with 0 to 9, Pack of 200, HellermannTyton 561-05030 online from RS for next day delivery.
    Not as cost effective if you want loads of them, but it cost less than a tenner to do my panel.

BTW Ed, your machine is looking great. I still can't believe you managed to cram all your electronics in that enclosure! I'm using one the same size and gave up trying to get the VFD inside as well as everything else.

Si.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I use the size down (rs part 408-4490) from the ones firetrappe listed, as I find they fit most normal wiring in control cabinets, without sliding up and down small wiring too much.
    I prefer them because they clip together and you don't end up with the markers randomly moving along/around the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    I like that top vent, do you have a source for them?

I'm hoping they come in 80mm square versions. I currently have regular fan filters at the top to stop crud getting in but I think the air flow restriction they cause will be too great so a vent like that would be perfect. The alternative is to fit a couple more fans at the top but that then risks creating a negative pressure in the case.
    Cogs, for evey exhust fan you have, you need twice the amount for intake fans, this creates the "flow" through the box. I like the look of Eddys vent on the top but would have preferred to see a 4 fan array there instead or as well.

.Me
    .Me

I know this doesn't really count but the VFD has a built in fan. I ordered one of these;
    New 90~250V 10A Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat -50~110℃„ƒ w/Sensor UK | eBay

it will control the 2 fans, if I see the temperature increase above what seems reasonable I will modify the cooling setup.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Picking up on your earlier reply to a question from me - you said that you would bolt the mounting plates to the top beam rather than weld them, to avoid distorting the beam. Does that mean that you would not want to weld the beams directly to the upright supports, even though you are using epoxy to level the top surface afterwards? I had been thinking of tack-welding the whole frame, then carefully running full welds in progressively.
    Maybe once I've started welding less critical bits of the support frame I shall get an idea of how much distortion to expect, but at the moment I'm trying to learn from the experience of others!

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Eddy
    I have been having a think about the distortion problem, did you weld all round the pads ? perhaps if the weld was just on the long sides it might not have distorted as bad.
    Just a thought
    Mike

@Neale, If you intend to weld the top beams to the frame instead of bolting, that's fine, you will of course have to use the epoxy routine. The reason I wanted to bolt them was to avoid the epoxy bit but in the end I still had to do it.
    Another reason I had to use epoxy was due to the top beams leaning out slightly. When I tacked and welded them I had two pieces of wood between with perfectly square ends and the whole lot was clamped together with two long sash clamps. I thought this would keep them vertical but unfortunately it did not.

@Mike, Yes I welded all round the pads, you might be right about just welding the sides.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

More progress, getting there now.
    If anyone thinks the energy chain looks big, I still have some 8mm pipes to put in and at least one more cable.
    Junction box on the machine, the cables from the panel will festoon down to allow movement of the machine but they will probably have some spiral wrap around them eventually.
    On the right, inside the junction box, you can see where I've just passed the spindle cable directly through the box, this is to have no additional terminals between the VFD and the spindle motor,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen6.JPG 
Views:	812 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	11977

Energy chain now arrived and fitted, note the grey plastic curved piece to transition the cables form the tray to the junction box. This was made from one of my favourite sources of material, soil pipe offcuts. The 110mm soil pipes are made from plastic that can be shaped with a paint stripping heat gun, just cut it lengthways and slowly heat until it lies flat, you get a piece over 300mm x whatever length you cut.
    I used Dexion slotted angle iron for the energy chain trough mainly because I've had a load sitting in the garage for years. With energy chain it's advantageous to have a trough that is open because it allows debris to fall through without collecting in the bottom causing all kinds of problems.

Name:	gen7.JPG 
Views:	3395 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	11978

A small aluminium box just fitted nicely under the energy chain bracket to allow connection of limits and home switches.

Name:	gen8.jpg 
Views:	4503 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	11979

Just a view from the front. Unfortunately my great set up is no good now because the energy chain crashes into the keyboard and monitor bracket so a bit of rearranging will be required.

Name:	gen9.jpg 
Views:	2950 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	11980

Got it going to it's home position today but there seems to be an issue with the slaved A axis, I might have to fit a switch on this after all. As it is with just a home switch for X, it reaches the switch and just comes to a halt, unlike with Z and Y where it backs off slightly. I tried unchecking the home limit selection for A in Mach3 but that made it worse. Will have to read up tonight about options for that, further reading on this subject here http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/gantry...is-gantry.html
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 01-04-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information