. .
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Reactive Resins Syntac EPAFD epoxy with Synamin 201-c slow hardener.

This was the starting point using shims to level up the linear rail support beams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	level1.JPG 
Views:	590 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	11450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	level2.JPG 
Views:	600 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	11451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insitu1.JPG 
Views:	778 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	11456

A test piece was made using a 50x50 offcut, epoxy resin, draught excluder moat, http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Iron.../sd2802/p70101

Temperature 17 deg C
    Used kitchen digital scales to measure out by weight.
    Mixed in a plastic cup, no melting of cup, no heat felt but it was only a very small amount.

Just after pouring, the viscosity was very good for pouring, it seemed to be runnier once the hardener had been added and mixed.

Name:	epoxy1.JPG 
Views:	612 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	11452

You can see surface bubbles, I dragged a tooth pick/cocktail stick through the epoxy a few times and bubbles dispersed.
    Next time I will mix the two parts more slowly so as not to introduce so much air.

Name:	epoxy2.JPG 
Views:	627 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	11453

The viscosity was such that 2 hours later the remains in the plastic cup could still move like a thick fluid.
    Slight leakage occurred at draught excluder butt joints e.g. corners, so I will be using a dab of glue at these points.

Following day about 20 hours after pouring.

Name:	epoxy3.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	11454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epoxy4.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	11455

Depth of epoxy = 5mm
    Draught excluder removed with a chisel no problem but it left a slight sticky residue that cleaned up okay with spirits and the epoxy captured a very small amount of foam in it's outer skin.
    A slight meniscus can be seen but this was expected, 'Clive S' describes how best to remove this.
    The epoxy is fairly hard but you can tell it has a day or two to go until it's cured.

I would say this test was a success and I have no problem with using this on the machine.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 31-01-2014 at 03:02 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Where's the pics Eddy???!! Need pics
    Neil...

Build log...here

Can you see them now ? I was doing a long edit, I can see them here okay.

Earlier I was having problems getting my spindle running in vector speed mode, this is now sorted thanks to ABB

Spindle ELTE, V=220, A=9.5, Speed=24000 rpm, Kw=2.2
    Drive - ABB ACS355 2.2kw 01x-09A8-2

The problem was it would work great in v/f mode but not in vector mode.
    Following many emails and parameter changes without success an AB engineer paid me a visit and it was sorted out in a morning. (I don't think you would get this support with a Chinese VFD)

This was the solution;

1) Drive firmware changed from 5060 to latest 5090. Version 5090 is known to contain improvements for ‘special motors’
    2) Switching frequency par. 26.06 set from ‘4kHz’ to ‘16kHz’. Par. 26.07 = ON(LOAD).
    3) Rescaled group 99 motor data to 200Hz equivalent, (i.e. 200Hz, 11500rpm, 9.5A, 110V,1.1kW)…changing this allowed the motor to achieve 24000rpm for the first time during testing
    4) Adjusted ramp rates (par. 22.02 = 5s and in particular 22.03 = 10s), also introduced S-shape (par. 22.04 = 1s)
    5) Adjusted non-user parameter 112.08 from ‘40’ to ‘10’ (made motor sound quieter, particularly at low speeds)
    6) Speed controller ‘Autotune’ performed (using par. 23.05), resulted in par. 23.01, Gain = 3, par.23.02 Integral = 2s and par. 23.04 Accel Comp = 1.45s
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 02-02-2014 at 12:03 PM.

I was too impatient..... I'm going to the DIY store this weekend to get some draft excluder to do this on my pieces of angle for the X axis carriage mounting points next week...away for the weekend so can't do it :(

Name:	Temp_X_carriage-1.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	374.5 KB 
ID:	11458
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I'm going to the DIY store this weekend to get some draft excluder to do this on my pieces of angle for the X axis carriage mounting points next week...away for the weekend so can't do it :(
    Obviously make sure it's thick enough, the stuff I got was 7mm thick x 15mm wide, very close to the wire for a 5mm deep epoxy but manageable with care
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 31-01-2014 at 03:33 PM.

You could also try Easy Composites - they do low viscosity infusion resins with a variety of timed hardeners, which I've used for vacuum infusion projects - the resin needs to be thin for that as you are essentially sucking it through your carbon/kevlar/glass fibres. The West System is probably similar, but if you need another price point......

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Washout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Obviously make sure it's thick enough, the stuff I got was 7mm thick x 15mm wide, very close to the wire for a 5mm deep epoxy but manageable with care
    I don't mind if it's 5mm or 4mm as long as it's flat but I'll bear that in mind when I'm looking for it...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks for posting the pics eddy! The foam seems an excellent quick way to do this task.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    ... the epoxy captured a very small amount of foam in it's outer skin.
    I wonder if applying some sort of grease to the draft excluder before pouring would help with that?

Jim

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    You can see surface bubbles, I dragged a tooth pick/cocktail stick through the epoxy a few times and bubbles dispersed.
    Next time I will mix the two parts more slowly so as not to introduce so much air.

Ready Steady Eddy-epoxy2.jpg
    I found that a warm air gun flashed across the surface got rid of the bubbles. As a matter of interest the Wests System was still like thick water 6 or 7 hors after the pour before its started the cure. With no sticky stuff on the top when cured. Also the mixing was just done with a flat bit on thin ply and gently stirred it round. ..Clive

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread Information