. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I'm currently designing and working out moulds etc to build small Fixed gantry Epoxy Granite based machine. It will have profiled linear rails and use Closed loop stepper system using preloaded double-nut ball-screws.
    The Epoxy granite structure will minimise vibrations and resonance and coupled with linear rails will make for very high quality surface finish. The preloaded double nut will make for near zero backlash and coupled with Closed loop steppers will make it very accurate. Will most likely have 2.2Kw spindle on it which will just about match the machine accuracy.
    I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with this - I'm thinking of doing something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with this - I'm thinking of doing something similar.
    I'll throw up a thread when starting and your close enough to see it in flesh when done, I'm actually closer to Barnsley than Wakefield 20-30mins to Meadow Hell.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-09-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Will look forward to that Dean, will you be casting in gauge plate lengths to secure the rails too, and will it be relieved to form pads @ the fixing locations like the French dude did on his build ?

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Will look forward to that Dean, will you be casting in gauge plate lengths to secure the rails too, and will it be relieved to form pads @ the fixing locations like the French dude did on his build ?
    Yes it will have Ground plate cast into it for rails along with mounting areas for ballscrew mounts etc.
    Not sure I've seen the French Dude's machine so not sure what pads you mean.? But yes it will have areas relieved for clearance etc and mounting plates, Tapered dowels & sockets for locating and fixing etc.

I'm thinking to make it sectional and bolt together for simplicity of casting and practicality's of moving. That much epoxy granite cast in one go will create hell of a lot of heat and be handful to handle in one go so for a first attempt I'm going to play it safe I think.

When I know more what's involved then I'll look to cast in one mould.??

I think it was Jonathan in one of the threads posted a link to a guy that had built a gantry mill and it all seemed solid to say the least(that's a compliment from an x shipyard fitter) then for some reason he went and painted it pink.can you use a slow set hardner to try and reduce the exotherm ? is there any way you could surround your mold in a water bath, when we installed D5 Launch tubes they were back filled with water and the water was circulated with a pump, all in an attempt to reduce shrinkage and seperation of the two component parts(our tubes were better than any of the yank's)
    What sort of size were you thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    What sort of size were you thinking of.
    Will only be small 600x300 cutting area for a first attempt. Will sell it on then when it's proven it's self and build a larger version.
    Don't really see any problems with building in sections anyway if done correctly and actually will allow some adjustment if not quite 100%. Single cast piece would be quite difficult to tweak any slight errors out and will be bit unwieldy for moving etc. Personally Don't think the slight extra strength it will add will be worth the trouble in long run.? . . . Time will tell and that's what first one will determine.!

Yes I did think about some form of Cooling and maybe surround mould with skin and fill with bags of ICE.!! . . . . I'll try and keep it simple first thou because by time I'm ready it will be bloody freezing in workshop so don't get much simpler. . Lol
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 25-09-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I'll throw up a thread when starting and your close enough to see it in flesh when done, I'm actually closer to Barnsley than Wakefield 20-30mins to Meadow Hell.!!
    Thanks, I look forward to seeing it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information