. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Unsupported rails, no end bearings - I don't think Jazz will be too impressed!!! G.

price is low , but I expect you get what ou pay for.
    Hmm - definetly need to do lots of reading up before embarking on this project, where's the 'Idiot's guide to CNC milling'?!
    Last edited by lanky_streak; 16-09-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Unsupported rails, no end bearings - I don't think Jazz will be too impressed!!! G.
    Too right.!!. . . . .There'd be more chance I'd advise him to Dip is balls in sulphuric acid than buy that. .

The Denford micromill is basically a small Sherline mill cnc'd by Denford. When I suggested a Denford I was thinking of a heavier mill, something more like a Novamill/ starmill etc. or perhaps even a Triac. As Jazz has already stated, the limiting factor is likely to be slow spindle speed for engraving with very small diameter tooling. G.

Thanks for the replies / suggestions. I've been having a look at the Denfords just to get an idea of what they're capable of - I was originally put off having seen them in many schools, but I've seen a few threads where the electronics have been upgraded, the enclosure ditched and Mach 3 installed & they appear to be quite sturdy / accurate machines for the money and relative ease to getting started. The Novamill on ebay looked interesting, but I wasn't (and am still not yet) decided on what it is I should really go for - plus the seller looked a bit dodgy (cheap motorbikes, Bentley wheel rims and a mill from a school!).

I hadn't realised the Denford was basically a Sherline mill; I know someone that recently bought a Taig mill converted to CNC with 4th axis, which was a comparible machine and seems to be serving well to do very similar type of work to me. The small diameter tooling doesn't worry me - most of the jobs I have in mind will be using sub 1mm end mills, and I'm aware I'm not going to end up with a machine that can do everything. A build from scratch does seem to be the way to get everything I'm after, but it's a bit daunting & small mills do appear to offer what I'm looking for.

Thanks again - the suggestions / comments are useful and very much appreciated.

I would be worried by the smaller diameter tooling. For less than 1mm endmills you really want a high speed spindle. One of the chinese 24000rpm spindles would probably be ideal. Maybe eventhe more expensive version with lower runout to get the required accuracy.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 19-09-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I would be worried by the smaller diameter tooling. For less than 1mm endmills you really want a high speed spindle. One of the chinese 24000rpm spindles would probably be ideal. Maybe eventhe more expensive version with lower runout to get the required accuracy.
    Ah - showing my ignorance again! If upgrading the electronics is worthwhile anyway, would adding a high speed spindle to the Denford be possible / sensible? I.e. would it be a good base to start, or for all of that hassle, is a new manual mill a better starting point? I've looked at some of the Proxxon's but read that these are far more capable for the money: Peatol Machine Tools - The Home of the Peatol Micro Lathe and Mill

Aren't these outside your required accuracy ? Proxxon (from Axminster site "Proxxon FF 500 CNC MICRO Mill. For repeat accuracies of up to 0.05mm") Peatol is better though at 0.0005 in (0.0127mm)

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Aren't these outside your required accuracy ? Proxxon (from Axminster site "Proxxon FF 500 CNC MICRO Mill. For repeat accuracies of up to 0.05mm") Peatol is better though at 0.0005 in (0.0127mm)
    I was actually looking at a manual mill for conversion to CNC, but have read mixed reviews on the Proxxon anyway - it seems to be fine, but is very much a budget mill and quite lightweight. I think the Peatol falls within a usuable level of accuracy, but I still need to find exactly what's involved to convert it (unless the UK distributer offers this, which I've not looked into yet).

I'm currently designing and working out moulds etc to build small Fixed gantry Epoxy Granite based machine. It will have profiled linear rails and use Closed loop stepper system using preloaded double-nut ball-screws.
    The Epoxy granite structure will minimise vibrations and resonance and coupled with linear rails will make for very high quality surface finish. The preloaded double nut will make for near zero backlash and coupled with Closed loop steppers will make it very accurate. Will most likely have 2.2Kw spindle on it which will just about match the machine accuracy.

Reason for telling this is because I'm sure it will cost less than any small converted CNC mill and will hold much better tolerances and be more suited to your type of work due to spindle. You'll need to spend at least £10k to get off the shelf machine that will hold tolerances anywhere near what machine built like this will hold.

Even a fixed gantry steel framed machine filled with sand or Resin/aggregate mix with same double nut and closed loop steppers and WC spindle will blow the small Chinese milling machines away and be cheaper to build.

MY ADVISE IS BUILD BUILD BUILD has you'll only be disappointed or limited with Cheap Chinese mill conversion.!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information